Accruing Washington FML tax

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

PennyR

Accruing Washington FML tax

Post by PennyR »

Washington FML tax is paid by the employer and is based on gross wages. I have this set up as an employer liability in PowerChurch. PowerChurch is calculating based on taxable wages. It is excluding minister's housing allowance and all voluntary retirement contributions. We need FML to calculate based on total gross wages. I can't figure out how to do this.

Any suggestions?

fbcsequim

Re: Accruing Washington FML tax

Post by fbcsequim »

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I just gave up and keep FML and L&I in a spreadsheet that calculates based upon hours and / or gross. The spreadsheet calculates the employer and employee deductions and then I go and manually enter that into the payroll "other deductions" for these line items. I sure hope Power Church will come up with a way to help us in WA State.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fbcsequim wrote:Unless someone has a better suggestion, I just gave up and keep FML and L&I in a spreadsheet that calculates based upon hours and / or gross. The spreadsheet calculates the employer and employee deductions and then I go and manually enter that into the payroll "other deductions" for these line items. I sure hope Power Church will come up with a way to help us in WA State.
I trust you have the FML setup as a tax type, and on the Employer Liability, it is selected as the tax type. Then you should check every employee income item description to make sure that the tax is turned on. If you're using the 'housing allowance' tax option on that item description, you will probably have to switch it to "more options" and select the taxes that apply to it. In this case the FML.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

fbcsequim

Post by fbcsequim »

I gave it a try, I had to set it up as a State Tax, with Desc as FML. However I need a Employer and Employee set up one as the Employer Liability and one that is paid by the employee. The church pays the FML for Pastors but not for other employes. PC only allowed me to set up one as a State Tax. How do I get around the restriction?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fbcsequim wrote:I gave it a try, I had to set it up as a State Tax, with Desc as FML. However I need a Employer and Employee set up one as the Employer Liability and one that is paid by the employee. The church pays the FML for Pastors but not for other employes. PC only allowed me to set up one as a State Tax. How do I get around the restriction?
If the tax rate is the same for both, use the one tax table, same as Social Security.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

fbcsequim

Post by fbcsequim »

THanks, I was able to get it to work since they are both the same. Since I set this up as a state tax, how do I keep this from showing on the W-2? If I set this up as a OtherDeduction with a % etc, then it doesn't include Housing as part of the gross, it will just compute on the Salary amount. I need a way to include all income in the amount used to calculate this deduction. I'm really tired of having to keep spreadsheets for Family Medical Leave and L&I Insurance. I'm sure we have a bunch of folks in WA with the same issues.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fbcsequim wrote:THanks, I was able to get it to work since they are both the same. Since I set this up as a state tax, how do I keep this from showing on the W-2? If I set this up as a OtherDeduction with a % etc, then it doesn't include Housing as part of the gross, it will just compute on the Salary amount. I need a way to include all income in the amount used to calculate this deduction. I'm really tired of having to keep spreadsheets for Family Medical Leave and L&I Insurance. I'm sure we have a bunch of folks in WA with the same issues.
FWIW .. it is a state tax, so having it on the W-2 should not be a problem, as its for information only on the W-2. Unless Washington state does not want it on the W-2.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.