Issuing a Refund Check for Credit Memo

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

apudell

Issuing a Refund Check for Credit Memo

Post by apudell »

We had a parent pay their tuition in full. The parent was supposed to receive a paid in full discount at the time of payment but did not. The parent is now requesting a refund check. I would like a clear audit trail of: payment, discount, credit memo, and refund check. I added the discount to the invoice which produced a credit memo on the account. I cannot find a way to remove that credit memo to show a refund check has been issued and that the memo is now $0. Your help is most appreciated.

Using Windows 7, Power Church Plus Version 12

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Issuing a Refund Check for Credit Memo

Post by Zorak »

On the Maintain Customers screen in Accounts Receivable, bring up the customer in question, then click on the Credit Memos tab. If the credit memo hasn't been applied to an invoice, you should be able to delete it.

apudell

Post by apudell »

Zorak wrote:On the Maintain Customers screen in Accounts Receivable, bring up the customer in question, then click on the Credit Memos tab. If the credit memo hasn't been applied to an invoice, you should be able to delete it.
No, delete is greyed out. It seems there should be a way to show the over payment, credit memo, and then the payout in the system so you have a clear audit trail.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

It looks like since the credit memo was created automatically from an over-payment, there isn't a way to delete it.

Instead, as you said, for the audit trail, you would have to reverse the original payment, which in turn reverses the credit memo that is tied to the payment.

You can then re-enter the payment for the actual invoice amount and separately account for the refund outside of Accounts Receivable.

apudell

Post by apudell »

Since I could not delete the memo, edit the invoice, or transfer the credit memo to accounts payable to pay I ended up creating an additional invoice for the credit memo amount and applied the amount to it. This way I do not have an unapplied credit memo hanging around that I have already refunded by check. An imperfect solution but perhaps this will help someone else with this problem.