Change default password for paystub email

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

salcbookkeeper

Change default password for paystub email

Post by salcbookkeeper »

I just sent out paystubs via email for the first time, and some of our staff do not like having to input their full SSN to access the PDF paystub attachment. Is there a way to change the password setting for emailing paystubs?

NeilZ

Re: Change default password for paystub email

Post by NeilZ »

salcbookkeeper wrote:I just sent out paystubs via email for the first time, and some of our staff do not like having to input their full SSN to access the PDF paystub attachment. Is there a way to change the password setting for emailing paystubs?
Are they worried that its going over the 'internet' ?? The password is encrypted into the PDF using a very high quality encryption, and does not access the internet in any way. Do they have better idea for a password that they will remember?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

NeilZ wrote:Do they have better idea for a password that they will remember?
That was the issue, I think, that made us use the SSN as the password. Anything else the church assigned would be the same for everyone, meaning all the employees would be able to open each others' paystub PDFs.

Other employee-specific things like address or phone number that could be programmatically chosen as the password are public knowledge and not suitable for a password.

wyandottefamily

Post by wyandottefamily »

Would just the last 4 not be secure enough? Or last 5?
P-Church user since Jan 2016 :D

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wyandottefamily wrote:Would just the last 4 not be secure enough? Or last 5?
The encryption used on PDFs is VERY secure, and it would take a supercomputer to decrypt the password. Here are the algorithms used:

Acrobat 6.0 And Later (PDF 1.5) encrypts the document using 128-bit RC4.
Acrobat 7.0 And Later (PDF 1.6) encrypts the document using the AES encryption algorithm with a 128-bit key size.
Acrobat X And Later (PDF 1.7) encrypts the document using 256-bit AES. To apply 256-bit AES encryption to documents
created in Acrobat 8 and 9, select Acrobat X And Later.
The other issue is anyone who has access to such a computer will also need to have access to the emails being sent out. In other words, its safer than sending a W2 through the regular mail, as that can be intercepted by someone from a mailbox.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

salcbookkeeper

Post by salcbookkeeper »

Thanks for the feedback! I totally understand that this is in encrypted and safe. However, to some of our staff, what they see is an email attachment asking them for their full SSN and then they think they shouldn't trust it. I'm not technical enough to figure out how to explain in simple terms that it's safe. I was just hoping that I could perhaps change the password setting to the last 4 of their SSN, as that might help them feel less alarmed.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

salcbookkeeper wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I totally understand that this is in encrypted and safe. However, to some of our staff, what they see is an email attachment asking them for their full SSN and then they think they shouldn't trust it. I'm not technical enough to figure out how to explain in simple terms that it's safe. I was just hoping that I could perhaps change the password setting to the last 4 of their SSN, as that might help them feel less alarmed.
Just explain to them that it should be coming from an authorized email address. I'm assuming that you're using something with your church name in it like 'mychurch.org' .. if not, and you're using Gmail account I can see their reasoning. I would send them an email from that address and let them know that any PDFs sent from the address is indeed from you, and is only to unlock the PDF, it is not sent anywhere.

If they are that worried, you can tell them to disconnect from their internet connection, then open the PDF with their password.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

alcbooks

Post by alcbooks »

I asked this same question a while ago when we started using Powerchurch for payroll! We asked them if we could use a phone number as a password too. I really DO NOT like the SSN being used either and really think a phone number would be a much better option.

Anyway, the one thing I was told is to request a feature update, which I did but it hasn't happened yet. I don't remember how to do this, but I'm sure you could find out. maybe if enough people ask for it, it will be changed.