VOIDING A CHECK

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Patricia

VOIDING A CHECK

Post by Patricia »

I need to void a check but when I go to the option and put in the check number it says that check is not found. However it is in the list of checks written. Although it is not in numerical order but is at the top of the page. What am I doing wrong that causes some checks to bounce up to the top of the transactions list??
Last edited by Patricia on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davischer

Re: VOIDING A CHECK

Post by davischer »

There may be a space before the beginning of the check number. This could happen if it was a manual check. Try entering a space before the check number to see if that pulls up the check.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

That did bring up the number, thank you. It said the check was voided but on the transaction list it does not show that it is void. When I go to reconcile my account it is still showing as the original amount.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Since the check, that i voided, is still in the program and doesn't say VOID, and is still in the reconcile bank account, is there a way to clear this check from the transactions?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Since the check, that i voided, is still in the program and doesn't say VOID, and is still in the reconcile bank account, is there a way to clear this check from the transactions?
OK .. is the VOID transaction sitting in Accounts Payable, did you POST the AP transaction? Did you then POST in Funds Accounting?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Yes, I did all that but it is still showing in the posted transactions.

Okay, I found it, but it voided it twice, will that make a difference in the total?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Yes, I did all that but it is still showing in the posted transactions.

Okay, I found it, but it voided it twice, will that make a difference in the total?
Wait .. the old check will ALWAYS show in the posted transactions. It does not get deleted.

Yes two void transactions will void the original check, as for example, a 9.00 check voided with -9.00 void transaction equals zero. But the added VOID will then deduct an additional 9.00 from the account, and you'll be 9.00 less than what you should be.

When you reconcile, you will see the VOID transaction in the 'deposit' area (as you're returning funds to the account) along with the ORIGINAL check transaction in the check area of the reconciliation screen. You need both to zero out the transaction.

I would delete the second VOID transaction completely, if you can't delete, REVERSE it in the Posted Transactions function of Funds Accounting.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Okay, how would I delete it? If I reverse it in posted transaction, would I also have to delete it in accounts payable and if so how would I do that?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Okay, how would I delete it? If I reverse it in posted transaction, would I also have to delete it in accounts payable and if so how would I do that?
You don't delete it as that wrecks your audit trail

I've not had this happen to me, so I'm not sure how you would clean anything up in Accounts Payable. I would look at the VENDOR History to see if the extra void is listed there.

If you can't find it there, and you can't find it in AP, then all you can do is reverse it in Funds Accounting. I would also add some information to the reversal transaction before you post it in Funds Accounting. Open the unposted transactions function in Funds Accounting, and find the reversal and explain what happened so you have an explanation for the auditor.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

I do find 2 voided transactions in the Vendor History, also in accounts payable. Is there something I should do there?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:I do find 2 voided transactions in the Vendor History, also in accounts payable. Is there something I should do there?
From what you've said, only ONE void transaction should be needed, and the other one was an accident. I take it that you have posted the extra VOID already to Funds Accounting, then posted it there? The fix is that you're going to have to VOID the void. Then post the void, and post in Funds Accounting.

You're going to then have to clear both sides of that void if they appear in the reconciliation screen.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

You said I needed to reverse one of the voided transactions, I think I figured out how to do that, but how do I void the void??? why can't I just reverse it wouldn't that fix it?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:You said I needed to reverse one of the voided transactions, I think I figured out how to do that, but how do I void the void??? why can't I just reverse it wouldn't that fix it?
Time out ...

NOTE .. in my original response I said:
I've not had this happen to me, so I'm not sure how you would clean anything up in Accounts Payable. I would look at the VENDOR History to see if the extra void is listed there.

If you can't find it there, and you can't find it in AP, then all you can do is reverse it in Funds Accounting.
The reversal was only if you could not find the extra VOID in AP. You have ... so

The Transaction was created in AP, it should be cleared from AP and posted to Funds Accounting. This clears up the database in AP, which currently shows that there is a negative amount in that vendor's records.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Sorry, I have tried but I cannot figure out how to clear this transaction from accounts payable. I have studied the manuel but I can't find the answer. Guess I have really messed this up.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:Sorry, I have tried but I cannot figure out how to clear this transaction from accounts payable. I have studied the manuel but I can't find the answer. Guess I have really messed this up.
Did you do the last thing i advised you to do.

VOID the duplicate void?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.