New W4 for 2020

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

emarino

New W4 for 2020

Post by emarino »

I searched and didn't see any posts related to W4 for 2020. Will PowerChurch handle the updated form?

thanks,

Ed Marino

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: New W4 for 2020

Post by Zorak »

PowerChurch doesn't have functionality to generate the W4 form.

emarino

Post by emarino »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The W4 form is changing for 2020 and will no longer use allowances. But employees may opt to use the form they currently have on file. Based on the IRS FAQs, payroll systems should be able to accommodate both options. I'm wondering how PowerChurch will handle this.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

emarino wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear. The W4 form is changing for 2020 and will no longer use allowances. But employees may opt to use the form they currently have on file. Based on the IRS FAQs, payroll systems should be able to accommodate both options. I'm wondering how PowerChurch will handle this.
As a long time user, I suspect that they will have something setup that will use the existing Payroll Item screen, but with additions for the W-4 changes. So if someone has an entry in the withholding box there shouldn't be an entry in the new W-4 boxes, and vice versa.

I really don't expect to see this available until the end of December.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Thanks for pointing this out.

We will take a look, but likely there will be some more Payroll setup required.

As Ed mentioned, you will have to be able to process both employees with and without withholding allowances on the W4.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... I didn't see where the IRS moved the form from 'draft' to final approved form.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

beas

Post by beas »

IRS released the new form on December 5.
Bill Beasley
Secretary-Treasurer
Neighborhood Church
Albany, Oregon
User since ~1988

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

beas wrote:IRS released the new form on December 5.
Figures ... didn't see the 'news' on the main page ... no matter ...
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The Maintenance Releases were published today for Versions 11.5 and 12. A new Knowledge Base article is in the works and the existing Federal Withholding tax table articles will be updated once the IRS publishes the final Publication 15-T.

Thanks emarino for raising the flag about this!

Matt
Authorized Teaching Consultant
Authorized Teaching Consultant

Post by Matt »

Based on the early release copies of the Percentage Table Methods that will appear in the final Publication 15-T there will be a total of 6 Federal Withholding Tables that will need to be set up in PowerChurch. 3 "Standard" tables will need to be set up for W-4s from 2019 or earlier, or if the W-4 is from 2020 or later and the box in step 2 of the W-4 is NOT checked (one for Married Filing Jointly, one for Single or Married Filing Separately, and one for Head of Household), and 3 "Form W-4, Step 2, Checkbox" tables will need to be set up for W-4's for 2020 or later and the box in step 2 of Form W-4 IS checked (one for Married Filing Jointly, one for Single or Married Filing Separately, and one for Head of Household). Please see the following link:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/2020-per ... ll-systems

The boxes checked in steps 1(c) and 2 on the new W-4 will determine which one of the six tables to use for each employee.

PC+ users need to wait until the final Publication 15-T is published by the IRS before making these changes in PowerChurch. I would also advise waiting until the new Knowledge Base article is published and the existing Federal Withholding tax table articles are updated as Zorak mentions above.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Our documentation has officially been updated now:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/pr - Shows the list of all federal and state tax table articles on the site, including the updated Federal and a new W4 article linked at the top.

clararose577

Post by clararose577 »

We are using a version older than 11.1, but thankfully all of our employees are using W4s prior to the 2020 version.

Until we can upgrade....for 2020 payroll, should we use the "2020 Percentage Method Tables for Automated Payroll Systems: with Forms W4 From 2019 or Earlier"? (From Pub. 15-T) and remove the exemption amounts from the "employee pay item" tabs? Do we need to make any other adjustments or will the system do that for us?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

clararose577 wrote:We are using a version older than 11.1, but thankfully all of our employees are using W4s prior to the 2020 version.

Until we can upgrade....for 2020 payroll, should we use the "2020 Percentage Method Tables for Automated Payroll Systems: with Forms W4 From 2019 or Earlier"? (From Pub. 15-T) and remove the exemption amounts from the "employee pay item" tabs? Do we need to make any other adjustments or will the system do that for us?
You should not need to redo the W4s unless the employee wants them redone, and you really don't have to change anything as far as the exemptions listed. The IRS has stated that, the new W4 is primarily for new employees.

My suggestion is to get an OK to do the upgrade, you're going to pay half price for a a lot of new features that will make you life easier.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.