A/P Check - Bank Reconciliation

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tjewell001

A/P Check - Bank Reconciliation

Post by tjewell001 »

We are on Powerchurch v12.2

I have an issue with reconciling a check on the bank statement.

1. We entered an accounts payable invoice for $1,132.50.
2. We paid this invoice via "Pay Open Invoices"
3. Check was printed for $1,132.50
4. Posted to accounts payable, which then posted through to Fund Accounting

Now I am trying to reconcile the bank statement. The check cleared the bank for $1,132.50. However, in the bank reconciliation screen, the check is showing up with the amount of $1,400.00. When I click to view the transaction (or view posted transactions) it shows the expense debited for $1,400.00, and my cash (checking acct) credited for $1,400.00.

Down in the "Transaction Notes" field it says:

Vendor ID: 52458
This check paid the following invoice(s):

Invoice #133094617 1/06/2020 1,132.50
Memo: INV#133094617

How did the check print the correct amount, and yet when posted to Fund Accounting, the amount is totally different?

I know I can reverse this in Fund Accounting, enter a correcting journal entry, and clear the check to reconcile, but I am curious how and why this happened, and has anyone else experienced this as well?

Thanks.

NeilZ

Re: A/P Check - Bank Reconciliation

Post by NeilZ »

tjewell001 wrote:We are on Powerchurch v12.2

I have an issue with reconciling a check on the bank statement.

1. We entered an accounts payable invoice for $1,132.50.
2. We paid this invoice via "Pay Open Invoices"
3. Check was printed for $1,132.50
4. Posted to accounts payable, which then posted through to Fund Accounting

Now I am trying to reconcile the bank statement. The check cleared the bank for $1,132.50. However, in the bank reconciliation screen, the check is showing up with the amount of $1,400.00. When I click to view the transaction (or view posted transactions) it shows the expense debited for $1,400.00, and my cash (checking acct) credited for $1,400.00.

Down in the "Transaction Notes" field it says:

Vendor ID: 52458
This check paid the following invoice(s):

Invoice #133094617 1/06/2020 1,132.50
Memo: INV#133094617

How did the check print the correct amount, and yet when posted to Fund Accounting, the amount is totally different?

I know I can reverse this in Fund Accounting, enter a correcting journal entry, and clear the check to reconcile, but I am curious how and why this happened, and has anyone else experienced this as well?

Thanks.
I seem to remember something like this happening a few years ago, but I don't remember if it was due to a program issue or not. Obviously its not something that happens frequently, or we'd see more posts like this. Do you keep copies of the Posted Transactions from when you post to Funds Accounting? If so, check to see how it posted there.

My suggestion is before you reverse the original and reenter it as a manual check, do a REINDEX of the database. It may not do anything, but its worth a shot. Do a COMPLETE backup of the database before doing this. If that doesn't do anything, reverse and reenter.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.