CARES Act Employer Payroll Taxes

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mikenerney

CARES Act Employer Payroll Taxes

Post by mikenerney »

Just noticed that the employer portion of our payroll taxes (SS and Medicare) have been excluded from the non-clergy paychecks for the month of March. I know the CARES act offered deferral on these taxes. However, the act also does not allow a deferral if you will benefit from the Paycheck Protection Program of the Act. PC+ never gave a heads up asking if we wanted to defer these payments. The boxes are still checked in Pay Items for each of these employees so wondering how these withholdings could have been excluded in March. I would like to fix this before April 15 so I can pay these amounts to keep my Q1 941 from being incorrect. Any thoughts?
Mike Nerney, Associate Pastor
Calvary Baptist Church, Bel Air, MD

NeilZ

Re: CARES Act Employer Payroll Taxes

Post by NeilZ »

mikenerney wrote:Just noticed that the employer portion of our payroll taxes (SS and Medicare) have been excluded from the non-clergy paychecks for the month of March. I know the CARES act offered deferral on these taxes. However, the act also does not allow a deferral if you will benefit from the Paycheck Protection Program of the Act. PC+ never gave a heads up asking if we wanted to defer these payments. The boxes are still checked in Pay Items for each of these employees so wondering how these withholdings could have been excluded in March. I would like to fix this before April 15 so I can pay these amounts to keep my Q1 941 from being incorrect. Any thoughts?
Um .... there is nothing in the program that would do such a thing, as the CARES act came after the last update, and this most recent one was released today, and has no changes at all to that.

I would take a look at the paystubs to see if they're listed there at all by reviewing the employee's checks under Maintain List of Employees.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.