Wrong Check Numbers Posted - How to Fix?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

SusanG

Wrong Check Numbers Posted - How to Fix?

Post by SusanG »

Our treasurer entered the wrong check number for several checks. The entries have been posted. The same check numbers that were correctly used for April were also used for May. What is the best way to correct this? Is there a way to correct this?

Thank you for your help and advice!

Susan

NeilZ

Re: Wrong Check Numbers Posted - How to Fix?

Post by NeilZ »

SusanG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am
Our treasurer entered the wrong check number for several checks. The entries have been posted. The same check numbers that were correctly used for April were also used for May. What is the best way to correct this? Is there a way to correct this?

Thank you for your help and advice!

Susan
You didn't say what version you're using, but the basic action to take is this. Hopefully you have check stubs that show the correct check numbers and who they paid. So:

1. Enter the Accounts Payable -> VOID A CHECK function, and VOID the checks from May with the incorrect numbers. The system will allow you to search for those checks by number, and will show you the entries from April and May, void the May ones.
2. Enter Accounts Payable -> Maintain Manual Checks. Enter the data from the original check transaction, but use the CORRECT check number. You can use the voided check transactions to verify what accounts were used. Enter in the comments why this manual check was entered. Basically, replacment check to correct check number used.
3. Post everything. This will correct the system. When it comes time to reconcile, you will see the voided checks under 'deposits', a corresponding set of check numbers in the 'checks', and the correcting check numbers under 'checks' .. clear them all.

All fixed.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

SusanG

Post by SusanG »

Thank you, Neil! These were payroll checks - both April and May. I should have mentioned that. Any difference in the procedure? I'm not too familiar with the payroll module.

Thanks again!

Susan

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

SusanG wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:04 pm
Thank you, Neil! These were payroll checks - both April and May. I should have mentioned that. Any difference in the procedure? I'm not too familiar with the payroll module.

Thanks again!

Susan
Process is the same, but different. Before you void the checks, head to Payroll -> Maintain list of employees. Head to the Check History of each person who has the wrong check number. Select the check from the list, and print the paystub. This will help you when it comes time to recreate the checks as manual checks, then VOID the check. In v12 you can do that from the Check History list, I forget how it works in earlier versions.

You will then Process Payroll, enter the payroll period for those checks, along with the original check date. Then go through the process, making sure that the gross salary amount is correct for each employee. The system should calculate the proper tax and other deductions. Verify these when you get to the Verify Payroll screen by selecting each employee, and clicking on the Check Detail button. Once you're satisfied that all is correct as far as the paystub, return to the main Verify Payroll screen, change the Payment Method on each employee from check to Manual Check then enter the correct check number for each employee.

Post Payroll ... the system will update, and the results will be as I described in my previous response.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

SusanG

Post by SusanG »

Thanks a million, Neil! I'll share this with our treasurer.

Susan