investment tracking and withdrawals

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

neac

investment tracking and withdrawals

Post by neac »

I want to get some advice on how I should handle an investment that the church has.
It is held by a third party, and we make withdrawals from them.

When we make a withdrawal, how should I enter it into powerchurch? Should it be entered as a contribution? If I don't enter it as a contribution, it won't show up in the income and expense report.
We track the investment as an asset, so it should credit this asset account, but what should it debit?

NeilZ

Re: investment tracking and withdrawals

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm
I want to get some advice on how I should handle an investment that the church has.
It is held by a third party, and we make withdrawals from them.

When we make a withdrawal, how should I enter it into powerchurch? Should it be entered as a contribution? If I don't enter it as a contribution, it won't show up in the income and expense report.
We track the investment as an asset, so it should credit this asset account, but what should it debit?
Do you have your investments in a separate accounting fund? If so, then it would be a simple use of the transfer accounts, which do show up in the Income and Expense reports.

If you don't, then there's a slight problem. Its not a Contribution, these are assets you already have. Treating it as a Contributions says you're ADDING to your assets when, in reality, you're just moving them around.

Normally, as in the case of moving from a savings account to a checking, its a simple debit/credit transaction. This would show up on the Cash Management report and Balance Sheet showing a decrease in one and and increase in the other, but there wouldn't be anything showing up in the I&E which only tracks normal income and expenses for that accounting fund.

This is why we keep our endowment & investment in a separate accounting fund, as we can then show the transfer of funds from one account to the other on the I&E.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

I knew enough not to enter it as a contribution, what I did was make a GE crediting the investment and debiting our bank account.

No, the investment is not in a different accounting fund.

We have two accounting funds:
1. General fund
2. Designated fund

Not only that, within both of these funds, the investment exists as an asset, this has always confused me, I've just never had time to look into it.

Is there a way to fix this?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:57 am
I knew enough not to enter it as a contribution, what I did was make a GE crediting the investment and debiting our bank account.

No, the investment is not in a different accounting fund.

We have two accounting funds:
1. General fund
2. Designated fund

Not only that, within both of these funds, the investment exists as an asset, this has always confused me, I've just never had time to look into it.

Is there a way to fix this?
The transaction is correct, as you're properly moving funds between the assets. That the investment is active in two separate funds is problematic. Are there amounts listed in the Designated Fund's account? That can cause issues later on.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

Yes, there are amounts in the designated fund.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:00 pm
Yes, there are amounts in the designated fund.
That is something you're going to have to watch to make sure that if the investment has gains or losses, you properly distribute them. Not much I can do to assist you there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

Could i just move the amount that's in the designated fund into the general fund?

honestly, there's so many little things that I think are probably wrong, it might just be easier for me to restart our books altogether but do it properly

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 pm
Could i just move the amount that's in the designated fund into the general fund?

honestly, there's so many little things that I think are probably wrong, it might just be easier for me to restart our books altogether but do it properly
Normally, its what I would do, but I'm wondering if someone took designated funds, and invested them. If so, that opens the can of worms about moving designated funds without authorization.

What you would need to do is move those funds to the investment asset in the Operating fund, but then move funds from the checking in Operating to the Checking in Designated.

For that, I'd talk to the church board.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

if I were ambitious enough to do so, how would you suggest I go about setting up a seperate fund account for the investment?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:17 pm
if I were ambitious enough to do so, how would you suggest I go about setting up a seperate fund account for the investment?
Follow the directions in the manual or the online help to create a new Accounting Fund. Copy the checking account, the unrestricted net assets account, the investment account, any net asset account the investment account closes to, and the transfer accounts.

Move the funds from the operating and the other accounting fund to the investment account in the new account, then make the other investment account inactive.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

Finally getting around to doing this, :oops:
after moving the funds from 01 and 02 to the newly created 03 Investment Fund, how would I "correct" the amount that is in the fund? The amount that is showing in PowerChurch does not accurately reflect the amount that is currently in the investment.
Thanks

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:42 pm
Finally getting around to doing this, :oops:
after moving the funds from 01 and 02 to the newly created 03 Investment Fund, how would I "correct" the amount that is in the fund? The amount that is showing in PowerChurch does not accurately reflect the amount that is currently in the investment.
Thanks
It depends if the amount is over or under. In either case you'd be adjusting the balance of the investment. Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14303&p=46674&hilit ... ent#p46674
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

NeilZ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:57 pm
neac wrote:
Follow the directions in the manual or the online help to create a new Accounting Fund. Copy the checking account, the unrestricted net assets account, the investment account, any net asset account the investment account closes to, and the transfer accounts.

Move the funds from the operating and the other accounting fund to the investment account in the new account, then make the other investment account inactive.
Why do I need to copy the checking account?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:56 pm
NeilZ wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:57 pm
neac wrote:

Why do I need to copy the checking account?
Well ... if you redeem the funds, you deposit the check, which in effect is moving funds from one asset to another. Once its in the checking, you then transfer to another accounting fund, IE: moving funds from 03 to 01.

This provides full transparency of where the funds came from, and where they are going.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

So I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to correct the amount in our investment, and want to make sure I have the accounts set up properly in the new fund. In our case, we don't have losses, it's basically a high interest savings account.

What I have set up:
03-1851-000 Investment (currently existing in both funds 01 and 02)
03-1852-000 Interest Gained (New)
03-3121-000 Investment Fund Balance (New)
03-3126-000 Capitalized Interest (currently existing in fund 01)

I will move Investment amounts from funds 01 and 02 to 03, and capitalized interest amount from 01 to 03.
NeilZ wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:37 pm
It depends if the amount is over or under. In either case you'd be adjusting the balance of the investment.
Is the balance (true value?) of the investment supposed to be shown on the Asset side, or the Net Assets side?

So if I need to adjust the investment up, I would do:
03-1851-000 DB 1000.00
03-3121-000 CR 1000.00

And when I get a statement I would do the following:
03-1852-000 DB 1000.00
03-3126-000 CR 1000.00

There's another thread I found that mentions moving gains (interest) into unrestricted net assets at the end of the year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13468&p=45069&hilit ... ent#p45069
So would that be moving from 03-3126 to 03-3121?

Am I still missing something?