modifying payroll

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Patricia

modifying payroll

Post by Patricia »

Is there a way to change the pay period from weekly to bi-weekly without changing anything else? The Pastor, for personal reasons is taking a temporary 50 percent cut and would like to be paid bi-weekly so that his pay check remains the same but bi-weekly instead of weekly.

NeilZ

Re: modifying payroll

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 pm
Is there a way to change the pay period from weekly to bi-weekly without changing anything else? The Pastor, for personal reasons is taking a temporary 50 percent cut and would like to be paid bi-weekly so that his pay check remains the same but bi-weekly instead of weekly.
So he's going to be paid what he normally received for one week, but for two weeks? That's easy enough. The only reason it comes up weekly, is because you have the pastor setup under the weekly pay group. Once you move the record to the bi-weekly, it would only come up when you process payroll for those employees.

That said, since he's taking a pay cut, I would also get approval to revise the budgeted amount to reflect that going forward for the rest of the year.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

So, I would go to "modify unposted payroll" and change the date, but would that change it for the 6 month period?

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Or, do I have to do this in "set up"?

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

We have only the Pastor on payroll. The person who set up this, set it up as Current Employees. Will I have to do a complete set up again and put the Pastor in. Sorry, I did not set the program up and as I've said before I am just trying to muddle through (with your help, thank you very much). We are just a small church, Pastor thought this would be a good program for us, he hired someone to set it up and I have had very little training. Do you think the on-line videos would be more helpful than the manuel? If you could just walk me through this payroll thing I would be very grateful. I know it is hard, because you are thinking that the program was set up correctly, and I am finding that is not always the case.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 pm
We have only the Pastor on payroll. The person who set up this, set it up as Current Employees. Will I have to do a complete set up again and put the Pastor in. Sorry, I did not set the program up and as I've said before I am just trying to muddle through (with your help, thank you very much). We are just a small church, Pastor thought this would be a good program for us, he hired someone to set it up and I have had very little training. Do you think the on-line videos would be more helpful than the manuel? If you could just walk me through this payroll thing I would be very grateful. I know it is hard, because you are thinking that the program was set up correctly, and I am finding that is not always the case.
It is a good program, and frankly, a really great program for a small church. Not knowing your setup, my example was based on what you said about being paid weekly and moving to biweekly.

Many larger churches have employees who are paid in such a manor. In your case, all you have to do is instead of running the Process Payroll function every week, you only need to do it once every two weeks.

BTW .. the answers to your other two posts are both NO, just follow the procedure above. You shouldn't have to change anything in 'unposted payroll', the date is changed in the Process Payroll function on the first screen. It lists the payroll period date, so instead of listing 7 days (say from 1 Jan thru 7 Jan), you would list for 2 weeks (say 1 Jan thru 14 Jan).

Nothing else needs to be changed as he's taking a 50% pay cut. So what you were paying him every 7 days, you'll now pay every 14 days instead.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Oh my goodness, how simple is that, I guess I was making it much harder than necessary. :) Do you think the on-line videos would be a good investment?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Patricia wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Oh my goodness, how simple is that, I guess I was making it much harder than necessary. :) Do you think the on-line videos would be a good investment?
Any of the online video training available from Powerchurch are worth the money. If I remember right, you only need to purchase them once, and you have access for as often as you want to review them for anyone in your organization.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Sounds good! Thank you!