Refund to Giver that gave thru Vanco

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

FirstMOBC

Refund to Giver that gave thru Vanco

Post by FirstMOBC »

We have a member that gave thru their debit card by way Vanco. They over gave by 200.00 and requesting a refund. I know that I can refund them thru account payable by debiting the transit Asset account which Vanco use and crediting the bank account and credit the processing Fees. However how do I reduce the individual contribution by 200.00? Because If I use the contribution module I will double account for the money. But I need to make sure the year-end statement for the member will be reduce by 200.00.
Margaret Allen

NeilZ

Re: Refund to Giver that gave thru Vanco

Post by NeilZ »

FirstMOBC wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:31 pm
We have a member that gave thru their debit card by way Vanco. They over gave by 200.00 and requesting a refund. I know that I can refund them thru account payable by debiting the transit Asset account which Vanco use and crediting the bank account and credit the processing Fees. However how do I reduce the individual contribution by 200.00? Because If I use the contribution module I will double account for the money. But I need to make sure the year-end statement for the member will be reduce by 200.00.
You need to reduce the amount that the contributor gave.

1st ... post any Contributions that have not been posted. There's a reason that will be apparent in the next few steps
2nd ... REVERSE the contribution by pulling up the contributor's records in the View Posted Contributions function. Highlight the contribution to reverse,then click on the reverse/correct button. On the next popup you will click the Reverse button. Close the View Posted Contributions window.
3rd ... you're now going to Post Contributions BUT you will select Only Update the Contributions Module then post.

HOWEVER ... I'm fairly sure you should NOT be accessing the transit Asset account for this refund. You need to reduce the Tithes & Offerings INCOME account by $200, or it will be showing more income than you actually took in.

Leave the Asset account alone as those funds will eventually be deposited from Vanco as (I'm assuming based on your reference to accounts payable) that you're writing a check for the refund, and not Vanco.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

FirstMOBC

Post by FirstMOBC »

Thank you for your reply. I also contact Vanco. They walk me thru the process of refunding the member. All I have to do is import the the transaction once the refund is completed. Make everything easier.
Thank you again
Margaret Allen

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FirstMOBC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 pm
Thank you for your reply. I also contact Vanco. They walk me thru the process of refunding the member. All I have to do is import the the transaction once the refund is completed. Make everything easier.
Thank you again
I had not realized that you didn't contact Vanco ... that is always the first thing to do.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

FirstMOBC

Post by FirstMOBC »

Thank you
Did not know I could. My apology for coming to PowerChurch first. Thank you again :roll:
Margaret Allen