Payroll Data Issues

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

neac

Payroll Data Issues

Post by neac »

Hi, sorry to dig up this old thread.
I just had this situation happen as well. Another person processed multiple payroll runs (Aug 1-15, Aug 16-30, Aug 1-30, Sept. 1-15) earlier this week, and they are nowhere to be found. Not in Fund Accounting, either posted or unposted, not in unposted payroll.

The payroll cheque register shows the "cheques" (we use direct deposit) as having been issued, but twice for all of the August ones.
I also discovered under Email payroll stub, it appears this person (or maybe the system) attempted to email pay stubs multiple times for various pay periods, however the sent folder of our email account only shows one paystub sent out per recipient per pay period (except for the one staff on the monthly pay schedule, who was sent and received two paystubs for august). However, not sure why the system would attempt to send to all recipients in one email, then attempt to send individual emails, or send individual emails but double up on one person.

NeilZ

Re: Payroll Data Issues

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:40 am
Hi, sorry to dig up this old thread.
I just had this situation happen as well. Another person processed multiple payroll runs (Aug 1-15, Aug 16-30, Aug 1-30, Sept. 1-15) earlier this week, and they are nowhere to be found. Not in Fund Accounting, either posted or unposted, not in unposted payroll.

The payroll cheque register shows the "cheques" (we use direct deposit) as having been issued, but twice for all of the August ones.
I also discovered under Email payroll stub, it appears this person (or maybe the system) attempted to email pay stubs multiple times for various pay periods, however the sent folder of our email account only shows one paystub sent out per recipient per pay period (except for the one staff on the monthly pay schedule, who was sent and received two paystubs for august). However, not sure why the system would attempt to send to all recipients in one email, then attempt to send individual emails, or send individual emails but double up on one person.
Quick advice ... its always better to start a NEW topic, than to add to a 3 year old topic as there are differing versions and updates.

The first thing you need to do is to see if ANYONE restored any part of the database, the second is to check the audit log for Accounting, and the System audit log. You said that none of these transactions were posted to Funds Accounting. What does the paycheck history show for each employee? I realize you do 'direct deposit', but how are you doing it. From what you wrote above, it sounds like you evidently process payroll weeks after the actual pay period?

What version of Powerchurch are you using? Is it the local program, or Powerchurch Online? The system will not attempt to send out any emails unless told to do so. It does not do this automatically.

As you have probably found out since you found that old topic, this is a very rare occurrence, and the fact that there are multiple entries says that things may have been deleted, then recreated, then deleted again. If your Accounting audit log does not reflect any such entries, I would call Powerchurch directly as there are other issues going on there. If you've not used your free support time yet, you will not be charged, if you're using Powerchurch Online, you have free support. Finally, if it turns out to be a program bug, you won't be charged at all.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

I didn't even know there was an accounting log, but I found it and looked at it. the transactions were posted to payroll module only, which would explain why nothing shows up in fund accounting.

There were definitely multiple transactions processed. here's what the log shows:
1. processed 4 direct deposits dated May 31, 2020 at 12:19
2. processed 4 direct deposits dated Aug 15, 2020 at 12:28 
3. processed 4 direct deposits dated Aug 31, 2020  at 12:33 
4. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 12:35 
5. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 15, 2020  at 12:45   
6. processed 1 direct deposit dated Sept 15, 2020  at 12:52  
7. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 15, 2020  at 12:54  
8. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 15, 2020  at 12:56  
9. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 12:59  
10. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 13:01  
11. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 13:03  
12. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 13:06  
13. processed 1 direct deposit dated Aug 31, 2020  at 13:07   
14. processed 1 direct deposit dated Sept 15, 2020  at 13:09 
15. processed 1 direct deposit dated Sept 15, 2020  at 13:11   
16. processed 1 direct deposit dated Sept 15, 2020  at 13:12  
17. processed 1 direct deposit dated Sept 15, 2020  at 13:14
18. Posted payroll to Payroll module only at 15:18

Comparing our email log with the above transaction entries, it appears that for the first 3 entries no paystubs were issued via email. #6 while the transaction shows sept, the actual paystub issued was for aug.

To answer your questions:
The paycheck history for each employee shows one entry for each of the listed transactions.
Our direct deposit is done manually through our bank, so it doesn't use powerchurch in any way.
Payroll is normally processed the same day the "direct deposit" transaction is made at the bank, however for the last few months the person who was tasked with payroll duties wasn't doing their job and was put off processing everything in powerchurch.
We are using v.12.2 locally, we don't have powerchurch online.

Would the following work to rectify the situation: In the cheque history, there is a button that would allow me to void these transactions, so could I just void all these transactions and redo all the payroll and ensure it posts to fund accounting?

Thanks for the help

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:13 am
<snip>

Would the following work to rectify the situation: In the cheque history, there is a button that would allow me to void these transactions, so could I just void all these transactions and redo all the payroll and ensure it posts to fund accounting?

Thanks for the help
This would work, I'm assuming that you're using v12 which allows you to void the check then reissue. You would have to edit the resulting transactions going to Funds Accounting to delete the 'voided' transactions, but this seems the simplest way to fix this.

As usual, I advise that you do a backup of the accounting files in case you need to revert.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

What if I post the void transactions to payroll module only? I mean the original transactions were posted that way so it should just cancel each other out in the payroll module, and nothing would need to be edited in Fund Accounting.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:31 am
What if I post the void transactions to payroll module only? I mean the original transactions were posted that way so it should just cancel each other out in the payroll module, and nothing would need to be edited in Fund Accounting.
That would work, but then you're have to completely run payroll for those paydates. When you use the void and reissue the system will automatically copy all the previous paycheck income/deductions and so on, if you only void the check, you'll have to run payroll in order to update the payroll database to have correct W2 and other tax information going forward.

FWIW ... I used to manually do direct deposit from the bank. My procedure was to first run payroll in Powerchurch, and then print the resulting paystubs. I would then use the check amount resulting from the run to manually make the direct deposits. I did this even though the paycheck amounts were invariably the same each month, but this insured that the information flow always went from Powerchurch to the bank. Thus keeping the system that created the tax deposits (IRS Form 941, state taxes) was correct.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

neac

Post by neac »

I think doing a run of payroll will be easier for me to do.
Being in Canada, none of the tax modules in Powerchurch do anything for us anyways.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

neac wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:53 am
I think doing a run of payroll will be easier for me to do.
Being in Canada, none of the tax modules in Powerchurch do anything for us anyways.
Urp ... I never pick up on that :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.