941 & W-2/W-3 out of balance

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

fbclloyd

941 & W-2/W-3 out of balance

Post by fbclloyd »

I received a letter from Social Security Administration. The totals reported on Form 941 do not match the totals reported on W-3 for 2019. These were entered directly form PCP reports. Totals are 2 pay periods off. How did this happen?

NeilZ

Re: 941 & W-2/W-3 out of balance

Post by NeilZ »

fbclloyd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am
I received a letter from Social Security Administration. The totals reported on Form 941 do not match the totals reported on W-3 for 2019. These were entered directly form PCP reports. Totals are 2 pay periods off. How did this happen?
You didn't say what version you're using. Not knowing if you had your program up-to-date when the reports were generated makes it hard to figure out what, if anything, was happening back in 2019. Are you using the built-in 941 forms, or are you transcribing data? By pay period, do you mean reporting period (I'm assuming monthly) or what?

I have to say that you're the first location that has reported this happening.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

fbclloyd

Post by fbclloyd »

I am using Version 12. I do all the maintenance updates. I and using the built-in 941 forms. Yes, reporting period. We pay on 15th & 30th, so the w-2's are 1 month short. When I received the letter (November 15), I went back to the W-2 report and it printed the same as I submitted. I went in today and an option to "Edit existing information" or "Regenerate W2 information from payroll records" was given. First option resulted in original data. Second option gave correct data. I now need to submit Corrected W2's to everyone affected and the SSA/IRS.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fbclloyd wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:55 am
I am using Version 12. I do all the maintenance updates. I and using the built-in 941 forms. Yes, reporting period. We pay on 15th & 30th, so the w-2's are 1 month short. When I received the letter (November 15), I went back to the W-2 report and it printed the same as I submitted. I went in today and an option to "Edit existing information" or "Regenerate W2 information from payroll records" was given. First option resulted in original data. Second option gave correct data. I now need to submit Corrected W2's to everyone affected and the SSA/IRS.
I don't understand what you mean by We pay on 15th & 30th, so the w-2's are 1 month short. I've done payroll for two different churches the same way, and have never been '1 month short'. Please explain.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.