Getting Up to Speed

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Rising Sun Sailor

Getting Up to Speed

Post by Rising Sun Sailor »

Greetings!

I'm in the process of getting our church onto PC and had a question; apologies if this has already been asked and I missed it. I'm trying to learn PC more or less on the fly right now and figured it made sense to come here first.

The previous treasurer started to input data earlier this year into PC, but it hasn't been maintained throughout the year (he left and I picked up without a lot of turnover) because Quickbooks has been the system used. As it stands, it looks like some of the budget line items have made it into the system, but not all (right now the budget itself doesn't look like it's been input). All I'm seeing is the account balances from this past January.

Anyway, long story short, to get things up and running going into the new year, does it make sense to just nuke everything in the accounting section and start over or is there a way to get the accounts up to speed through a bulk reconciliation vice spending hours of data entry?

NeilZ

Re: Getting Up to Speed

Post by NeilZ »

Rising Sun Sailor wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:46 am
Greetings!

I'm in the process of getting our church onto PC and had a question; apologies if this has already been asked and I missed it. I'm trying to learn PC more or less on the fly right now and figured it made sense to come here first.

The previous treasurer started to input data earlier this year into PC, but it hasn't been maintained throughout the year (he left and I picked up without a lot of turnover) because Quickbooks has been the system used. As it stands, it looks like some of the budget line items have made it into the system, but not all (right now the budget itself doesn't look like it's been input). All I'm seeing is the account balances from this past January.

Anyway, long story short, to get things up and running going into the new year, does it make sense to just nuke everything in the accounting section and start over or is there a way to get the accounts up to speed through a bulk reconciliation vice spending hours of data entry?
Its probably easier to start off with a blank slate on Jan 1st. In this manner you can insure that the system is setup properly, and you won't have to try to correct issues that were created by the last person.

Just reset the Accounting from the File -> Preferences -> Accounting Setup menu by clicking on the RESET ACCOUNTING button. This will completely clear out the previous COA, and any data. You can then use the Accounting Setup 'wizard' to properly setup as of 1 Jan. The procedure is listed in the Powerchurch manual.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Rising Sun Sailor

That certainly makes the most sense I think.

Thank you much!

Rising Sun Sailor

Quick follow-up as I'm trying to do the above and start over.

I can input the current account value, but when I'm building the expenses, I can't seem to add anything higher than a level 4 line item. What I'm trying to do is match the line items to what we have in our budget, but the system isn't letting me. That, and when I try to repurpose line items, any time I try to add a line item, it gets added to the end.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that I can't match the line items to what's in Excel and Quicken, but it's frustrating that I can't put budget items in where I need them. Am I missing something or is it really not that user-friendly?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

If you can't enter a level higher than 4, it sounds like you are trying to add a Group account. That wouldn't be able to be used in transactions and have its own balance, so likely what you want is a Detail account instead. It prompts for Group vs. Detail on the first step of the Add Account process.

Rising Sun Sailor

Ok, I'll take a look again. Got frustrated trying to set it up (I'm flying solo in building it, so there's no help other than these forums to turn to), so I'll try again here in a bit.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I just checked your account and the church still has the original 90 days of free Technical Support that came with the original purchase of the software. That hasn't ever been activated by a call or email to support, so should you need us, give us a call or send an email.

Rising Sun Sailor

Much appreciated!

Honestly, I'm finding I don't know as much as I thought I did with terms and whatnot, so I'll absolutely be using it.

With that, is there an Setting Up Accounting for Dummies? I think I need either that or someone walking me through the setup process to make sure we're in a good place moving forward.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Rising Sun Sailor wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:16 pm
Much appreciated!

Honestly, I'm finding I don't know as much as I thought I did with terms and whatnot, so I'll absolutely be using it.

With that, is there an Setting Up Accounting for Dummies? I think I need either that or someone walking me through the setup process to make sure we're in a good place moving forward.
There's a bunch of free videos that you can review:
https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb. ... ode=browse

and there is the Intro to Accounting video tutorial available for purchase. You buy once for your organization, they then have ongoing access to the videos .

https://www.powerchurch.com/training/videos/
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Rising Sun Sailor

Thank you. I'll take another look at the free videos for now.

Take care!

Rising Sun Sailor

So, thanks to the videos, I'm pretty sure we're fully loaded and ready to start working. That said, I sat down with the team that normally works QuickBooks and they had some questions that I couldn't answer.

Can PC print checks? Given QB does this, it would add steps if it didn't.

Is there a way to account for Faithlife donation fees? Apparently, when someone gives online, the processing fee for that donation is accounted for by Faithlife as a donation for tax purposes, but since we don't see that, how do we account for that during end of year tax letters?

Lastly, is there a way to split donations multiple ways? Assuming someone gives one check, some of it undesignated and some designated, is there an easy way to account for this or do we have to do multiple inputs?

Thanks for the continued support!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Rising Sun Sailor wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:37 am
So, thanks to the videos, I'm pretty sure we're fully loaded and ready to start working. That said, I sat down with the team that normally works QuickBooks and they had some questions that I couldn't answer.

Of course it does ... look under Accounts Payable, and Payroll
Is there a way to account for Faithlife donation fees? Apparently, when someone gives online, the processing fee for that donation is accounted for by Faithlife as a donation for tax purposes, but since we don't see that, how do we account for that during end of year tax letters?
So Faithlife gives you a donation?? Please explain further. I'm sure they can be accounted for, in much the same way QB does it by entering a transaction, but I would need additional info.
Lastly, is there a way to split donations multiple ways? Assuming someone gives one check, some of it undesignated and some designated, is there an easy way to account for this or do we have to do multiple inputs?

No need for separate inputs. However, let me give some additional info here:
In Contributions, you have Contribution Funds, these are NOT the same as Fund Accounting's Accounting Funds.

Contribution Funds are setup so that when you Post Contributions, it creates a Transaction that updates Fund Accounting. It debits your checking account, and credits an income account. I'm going to assume that you only have one checking account, if that assumption is incorrect, please let me know.

You can have undesignated income (usually Tithes & Offerings) and designated income in the same Accounting Fund, all funneling into the same checking account. The system then maintains the separation.

You setup the CONTRIBUTION Funds to update the income account, whether designated or undesignated, to reflect the donation. For example, you have Contribution Funds setup for Tithes & Offerings (100), which goes into undesignated income. You also have one for Missions (200), which is designated income. You receive a donation with 100 for Tithes & Offerings, and 50 for Missions.

You would enter by selecting the fund 100, and entering 100, and saving, then selecting fund 200, and entering 50. The one check is accounted for, and will show up on the Bank Deposit Slip Report as $150.00. The Funds Report will show Fund 100 - $100.00, and Fund 200 - $50.00.

That said, setting up a designation during initial setup of Accounting is somewhat easy, doing it afterwards is just as easy, but doing it when you're setting up the system makes sure that you can verify you have all the accounts setup and ready.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Rising Sun Sailor

NeilZ wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm
Rising Sun Sailor wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:37 am

Of course it does ... look under Accounts Payable, and Payroll
So Faithlife gives you a donation?? Please explain further. I'm sure they can be accounted for, in much the same way QB does it by entering a transaction, but I would need additional info.

No need for separate inputs. However, let me give some additional info here:
In Contributions, you have Contribution Funds, these are NOT the same as Fund Accounting's Accounting Funds.

Contribution Funds are setup so that when you Post Contributions, it creates a Transaction that updates Fund Accounting. It debits your checking account, and credits an income account. I'm going to assume that you only have one checking account, if that assumption is incorrect, please let me know.

You can have undesignated income (usually Tithes & Offerings) and designated income in the same Accounting Fund, all funneling into the same checking account. The system then maintains the separation.

You setup the CONTRIBUTION Funds to update the income account, whether designated or undesignated, to reflect the donation. For example, you have Contribution Funds setup for Tithes & Offerings (100), which goes into undesignated income. You also have one for Missions (200), which is designated income. You receive a donation with 100 for Tithes & Offerings, and 50 for Missions.

You would enter by selecting the fund 100, and entering 100, and saving, then selecting fund 200, and entering 50. The one check is accounted for, and will show up on the Bank Deposit Slip Report as $150.00. The Funds Report will show Fund 100 - $100.00, and Fund 200 - $50.00.

That said, setting up a designation during initial setup of Accounting is somewhat easy, doing it afterwards is just as easy, but doing it when you're setting up the system makes sure that you can verify you have all the accounts setup and ready.

Does this help?
Copy all and thanks.

For the checks, that's for both payroll as well as vendors?

For Faithlife, it's not that they give a donation, it's that the cc fees from the giver are considered tax deductible as well as their donation. Just wasn't sure if there was a way to capture this as we only receive what the donation is. Just trying to make sure that folks get an accurate tax letter at the end of the year.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Rising Sun Sailor wrote:
Copy all and thanks.

For the checks, that's for both payroll as well as vendors?
Yes .. all checks. In fact, they can use the same check you're using with QB.
For Faithlife, it's not that they give a donation, it's that the cc fees from the giver are considered tax deductible as well as their donation. Just wasn't sure if there was a way to capture this as we only receive what the donation is. Just trying to make sure that folks get an accurate tax letter at the end of the year.
OH .. I see, the church is basically 'eating' the CC Fees? Is that right?

How do you do it now? What's the transaction entered into QB?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Rising Sun Sailor

I don't know that we're eating the fees. As I understand it, when someone donates, they pay a cc fee to Faithlife to process the transaction. As far as Faithlife is concerned, both the donation to the church as well as the fee are considered donations for tax purposes.

For our tracking in QB, we only track the donation itself since we don't see the fee (nor do we pay it). So long story short, there's a disconnect from what we see as donations from someone and what their actual tax deductible amount is.

Just curious if there's a way to track this from an accountability standpoint so we can let folks know what their total tax deductible amount is.