How to transfer funds in the software?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

philwells1

How to transfer funds in the software?

Post by philwells1 »

I am trying to document a transfer of bank funds that have been made at the bank. I thought it would be a simple swap of assets with a transaction within the Fund Accounting module. I posted it as:

03-1210-310 memorial fund asset credit
01-1110-000 general fund asset debit.

However, when I do this, I get the message "the debits and credits in each account fund do not balance."
I would have thought that it would be a simple swap of assets from one fund to another, taking from the memorial and moving to the general fund.

I'm sure there is a simple answer/solution to this. Thank anyone for your help.

NeilZ

Re: How to transfer funds in the software?

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm
I am trying to document a transfer of bank funds that have been made at the bank. I thought it would be a simple swap of assets with a transaction within the Fund Accounting module. I posted it as:

03-1210-310 memorial fund asset credit
01-1110-000 general fund asset debit.

However, when I do this, I get the message "the debits and credits in each account fund do not balance."
I would have thought that it would be a simple swap of assets from one fund to another, taking from the memorial and moving to the general fund.

I'm sure there is a simple answer/solution to this. Thank anyone for your help.
It is simple, but you have to do it using TRANSFER ACCOUNTS . There's a very good overview of these in the User Manual, and in the online help.
In the online help, do a search on Transfer Accounts. In the manual for v12 its on page 238, in the 11.5 manual its on page 230.

You have to have transfer accounts 'turned on' in the Accounts Setup, then use the Simple Setup as shown in the manual. This is the simplest method to use.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Thanks for the help. I never understood the use of transfer accounts but it makes perfect sense now. Thanks...philw

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

I went to the transfer portion of the manual and did the more involved setup for transfer accounts since we have 3 accounts that we transfer among. When I went to the transaction screen and input the information exactly as the last example shown. For one transfer, the transaction contains 4 lines: the 2 accounts and the transfer from and transfer to. When I attempt to save, it has the warning "this account uses accounts from more than one account fund...??continue. I am hesitant to go ahead when a message like that is shown. Should I do each transaction as 2 parts rather than combining the 4 on one transaction? or just go ahead as is? Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:27 pm
I went to the transfer portion of the manual and did the more involved setup for transfer accounts since we have 3 accounts that we transfer among. When I went to the transaction screen and input the information exactly as the last example shown. For one transfer, the transaction contains 4 lines: the 2 accounts and the transfer from and transfer to. When I attempt to save, it has the warning "this account uses accounts from more than one account fund...??continue. I am hesitant to go ahead when a message like that is shown. Should I do each transaction as 2 parts rather than combining the 4 on one transaction? or just go ahead as is? Thanks.
No need, click on OK in this case. Normally seeing such a warning message means that you really shouldn't do that as you may have selected the wrong Fund's income or expense account, but in this case, you are intentionally moving funds between Accounting Funds, so its OK to bypass it.

Those examples would not have been given in the manual if they were not correct.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Thanks. I understand and I figured the same since my transaction looked identical. I just always am hesitant with those warnings and once okayed sometimes it's a hassle to get them reversed. But I appreciate your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:59 pm
Thanks. I understand and I figured the same since my transaction looked identical. I just always am hesitant with those warnings and once okayed sometimes it's a hassle to get them reversed. But I appreciate your help.
This is why I usually suggest that people do a backup of accounting before you try something new, this way you can always restore back to what it was previously.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Thanks for all of your help and ideas. The funds have been transferred successfully.