Correcting an Error by restoring

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

philwells1

Correcting an Error by restoring

Post by philwells1 »

I have made an error on reconciling one of my accounts and I would like to somehow correct the error. Unfortunately the reconciliation was completed and currently cannot be altered. I was advised on the forum in the past that an error such as this could be cleared and could be done by going back to the last backup prior to the error. I have consistently backed up my files. If I went back to the prior date and utilized restore, would that allow me to undo the reconciliation and start it over? I am unsure and concerned that by restoring that I will foul up more things. Your help would be appreciated.

NeilZ

Re: Correcting an Error by restoring

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am
I have made an error on reconciling one of my accounts and I would like to somehow correct the error. Unfortunately the reconciliation was completed and currently cannot be altered. I was advised on the forum in the past that an error such as this could be cleared and could be done by going back to the last backup prior to the error. I have consistently backed up my files. If I went back to the prior date and utilized restore, would that allow me to undo the reconciliation and start it over? I am unsure and concerned that by restoring that I will foul up more things. Your help would be appreciated.
If you haven't entered anything else in any part of Accounting (Funds Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, or AR) since the last Accounting backup, you can take a current backup, then restore to that backup. However, if you did do anything in any of the other accounting modules, or if you only full database backups, which would include Membership & Contributions, I would not do this as there could have been entries that you would wipe out with the restore.

What was the error in the reconciliation?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Neil, The last time I posted was the 24th and since then I have not posted anything other than the one account reconciliation. What happened was that I transferred a small amount of funds from one to the other. Apparently I reversed them so they are backward on the software compared with the bank statements. I should have gone back and reversed the transaction and re--entered it correctly. But I went ahead and 'corrected' the one account by:
D C
01-1110-000 General Fund 1.03
01-4040-000 Misc Income 1.03

and went ahead and closed it since the balance was 000.
I did try to do the reverse in the other fund in a similar fashion but was told the debits and credits don't balance...so I quit. I would think that If I could restore to the 24th, I could do it all properly.
I have my backups on a USB flash drive and also on the cloud. Unfortunately there are multiple serial backups listed and when I go through the PC utility to restore, I am unclear how to specifically designate the specific date backup that I need to utilize. I presume that I could put the specific one on a separate USB flash drive so it was the only one possible to use. What would you recommend. Thank you in advance...phil w.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

On the prior reply the top line is a debit and the lower one a credit. The DC was changed when sent to you. pw.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:02 pm
I have my backups on a USB flash drive and also on the cloud. Unfortunately there are multiple serial backups listed and when I go through the PC utility to restore, I am unclear how to specifically designate the specific date backup that I need to utilize. I presume that I could put the specific one on a separate USB flash drive so it was the only one possible to use. What would you recommend. Thank you in advance...phil w.
I'm guessing that these are not Powerchurch backups? If so, each one should have a date included with the name as follows:

PCBACKUP_20210301_0945ACC.ZIP

this is a Powerchurch backup, done on March 1st, 2021 at 9:45 am, and is an Accounting file backup.

If you're don't have a Powerchurch backup, then I'm not sure if you should even bother doing this.
I would REVERSE all the previous entries you made, enter the correct transaction, and enter a memo for record in your files about what happened. At the next reconciliation, you're going to see a bunch of entries you'll probably have to check off to reconcile, but it should go to Zero.

Please let me know if you are talking about PCPlus backups or not.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Yes, I am talking about just Power Church backups.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

philwells1 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:28 pm
Yes, I am talking about just Power Church backups.
The Powerchurch restore facility will display the date of the backup, as well as the type of backup, so you will see if its a 'full backup' of all the database (All Files w/Pictures) or just accounting. You should be able to select which date you need from that.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

philwells1

Post by philwells1 »

Neil, It worked out fine. I actually used a separate USB flash drive that I had only the specific date wanted. It cleared me back to 2/24 and I was able to make the reversal/corrections and re-reconcile both accounts. I was quite leery about the reconciling but it worked out fine. All is a learning experience. I really appreciate your thorough help. I could not have done it without that help...phil w. :D