Pastor wants to defer pay and have it credited to missions

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Lighthouseag

Pastor wants to defer pay and have it credited to missions

Post by Lighthouseag »

Our senior pastor has asked me to not pay him for the next 3 weeks and to credit that money to our church's mission trip. He wants no credit for this donation. Is there a way to credit the mission trip account without giving the Pastor contribution credit? Is there someplace that I should document in payroll that he is choosing to have no pay for the week? This has been ok'd by our accountant and the church board.

Sue

NeilZ

Re: Pastor wants to defer pay and have it credited to missions

Post by NeilZ »

Lighthouseag wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm
Our senior pastor has asked me to not pay him for the next 3 weeks and to credit that money to our church's mission trip. He wants no credit for this donation. Is there a way to credit the mission trip account without giving the Pastor contribution credit? Is there someplace that I should document in payroll that he is choosing to have no pay for the week? This has been ok'd by our accountant and the church board.

Sue
Not really. While the Pastor can do what he wants with his pay, it still needs to go through Payroll for Income Tax purposes, if nothing else. What you can do in Payroll is setup a Contribution deduction by creating a Contribution Deduction payroll item, then add it to the Pastor's payroll record. Then enter the amount he would normally see in his paycheck, after any other deductions.

You can use the 'Loose Cash' envelope number you should have setup for any loose cash plate offerings.

The other alternative is to cut the check as normal, have the pastor sign it over to the church, then add it as a normal contribution, again using the Loose Plate offering envelope.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Lighthouseag

Re: Pastor wants to defer pay and have it credited to missions

Post by Lighthouseag »

Thank you