Made too many mistakes! Can I start all over & redo last yr?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TeresaZ

Made too many mistakes! Can I start all over & redo last yr?

Post by TeresaZ »

Our other financial software was dropping info, etc. so our church purchased PowerChurch Online and I use it on my laptop. I recently purchased a new HP with the latest Windows.

I had never used double entry before. I could not work on entering the data full time from the system that was crashing, just entering everything (full year 2020) in PowerChurch Online as I could, since I had to spend so much time trying to keep the bills paid/payroll going in QB Online before it totally crashed
I made so many mistakes, didn't fully understand Void and Reverse using the correct month's posting date. Needless to say a lot of the records in 2020 are wrong, some were corrected posting in the wrong month so when I'd get to work on PowerChurch to work on 2020 again, I wouldn't realize my earlier correction had posted in wrong month and I'd make a second correction!! It is a mess!!

Is there anyway to start fresh? I'd still need to be able to use 2021 because entries in this year are correct, and I'd still need to keep up with paying bills and payroll. By now I've made so many mistakes in 2020, I can't give a balance sheet for the annual business meeting. I realize how to make entries correctly now. I'd just like to re-do all of 2020. It's hard for me to even try to reconcile a bank statement with the entries I have made in 2020.

Any help from anyone?

NeilZ

Re: Made too many mistakes! Can I start all over & redo last yr?

Post by NeilZ »

There's really no good answer for this. I don't believe you can use the DELETE OLD DATA function as I believe it requires all the months to be closed, and then the system won't let you add transactions to that time period.

You could just restart accounting and enter all the checks, deposits, and so on for 2020 and the first 3 months of 2021 all over again. You'd have to redo the Chart of Accounts, but that's actually the easy part since you can print out what you currently have. Doing this just affects the accounting module databases (Funds Accounting, AP, AR, & Payroll) and nothing else.

However it may be easier just to write off 2020 as a learning year, and move forward with 2021. I'd make sure I had a good audit done on the 2020 books manually going through and verifying checks written against bills/vouchers/etc, and deposit receipts against deposits.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TeresaZ

Post by TeresaZ »

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I think re-doing all of 2020 will probably be what I do :( I was hoping there was an easier answer; however I do keep a well documented paper trail so it will just be time-consuming.
Again, thank you

Teresa Z

TeresaZ

Post by TeresaZ »

ANOTHER QUESTION --
Since I have to keep up to date on 2021 bills, payroll, etc., can I restart everything, add the account #'s, etc., start with the beginning balaces for Jan. 1, 2020, and then go ahead and jump ahead and begin adding in the entries for 2021 so I can keep prining checks and adding contributions - make it the primary action, but then begin adding all the 2020 entries.

I know I can't do bank reconciliations, etc. without the 2020 in there right away, but it seems like I can keep entering the 2021 contributions, and paying bills/payroll.

Am I correct? I sure hope so. I can't imagine how long it will take me to re-enter all the 2020 entries again if I have to do all that first.

Teresa

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

TeresaZ wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:38 pm
ANOTHER QUESTION --
Since I have to keep up to date on 2021 bills, payroll, etc., can I restart everything, add the account #'s, etc., start with the beginning balaces for Jan. 1, 2020, and then go ahead and jump ahead and begin adding in the entries for 2021 so I can keep prining checks and adding contributions - make it the primary action, but then begin adding all the 2020 entries.

I know I can't do bank reconciliations, etc. without the 2020 in there right away, but it seems like I can keep entering the 2021 contributions, and paying bills/payroll.

Am I correct? I sure hope so. I can't imagine how long it will take me to re-enter all the 2020 entries again if I have to do all that first.

Teresa
I don't see why not. The system allows you to do that. I would just verify the MONTH and YEAR being used when you do bills so you're not using a 2020 month
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TeresaZ

Post by TeresaZ »

Thank you.