Half year budgeting

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mikenerney

Half year budgeting

Post by mikenerney »

During COVID I opted to operate on a 6 month budget rather than full year due to the uncertainty in planning and giving during the pandemic. We currently have a budget in PC+ for Jan - June 2021. We are now in the process of preparing another round of 6 month budget for the July - Dec 2021 time period. Is there any way for the second half of 2021 to not include the Jan - June actuals and budgets? In other words, I want to treat the second half of the year independently from the first half for income and expense purposes. Any thoughts? In 2022, we may very well return to a 12 month budget so this may not be a permanent change.
Mike Nerney, Associate Pastor
Calvary Baptist Church, Bel Air, MD

NeilZ

Re: Half year budgeting

Post by NeilZ »

mikenerney wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm
During COVID I opted to operate on a 6 month budget rather than full year due to the uncertainty in planning and giving during the pandemic. We currently have a budget in PC+ for Jan - June 2021. We are now in the process of preparing another round of 6 month budget for the July - Dec 2021 time period. Is there any way for the second half of 2021 to not include the Jan - June actuals and budgets? In other words, I want to treat the second half of the year independently from the first half for income and expense purposes. Any thoughts? In 2022, we may very well return to a 12 month budget so this may not be a permanent change.
Offhand I can't think of anyway that wouldn't mess up other things. I'll flag this for the techs, maybe they have an idea.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Half year budgeting

Post by Zorak »

The only way I can think of to do this would be to change the Accounting Setup to show the church operates on a July to June fiscal year. That will change all of your Fund Accounting reports to show "year to date" activity of zero in July. However, as Neil indicated, this will have other negative effects. Running reports for prior years will all reflect this July to June fiscal year as well.

When you get ready to start on January 2022, you can run December 2021 reports as the 6 month "year end" before changing the fiscal year setting back to January to December. As soon as you make that change, running reports for 2021 will reflect the full January to December 2021 year.

You can make the change by going to File > Preferences > Accounting Setup. It is labeled "Fiscal year starts with the month of".