Posting Unrealized Appreciation of Long Term Investments below the line

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

OhBeWan

Posting Unrealized Appreciation of Long Term Investments below the line

Post by OhBeWan »

In most chart of accounts and therefore income statements (Statement of Activities) we have income (revenues) then expenses, then a net number. I have a situation where the church wants to have income, then expenses, then a subtotal that we will call Operating Income. Then they will show Unrealized Appreciation of Long Term Investments. And then a final net. There are a number of examples of this in the accounting literature, but I wanted to know if anyone had any pointers for making it happen in Power Church?

The Power Church recommended chart of accounts has a 9000 series of accounts for transfers. I could set up the investments as a separate fund and show the appreciation as a transfer but will that give me a subtotal before I add in the appreciation?

Or I could set up the investments as a completely separate fund and have it not show at all on the operating fund statement.

Or is there a better way?

Thanks.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Posting Unrealized Appreciation of Long Term Investments below the line

Post by Zorak »

Setting those accounts up in a separate fund sounds like the best approach. The standard accounting reports don't have the capacity for the level of customization that you are looking for. Setting things up in the Transfer accounts section would still be labeled as TOTAL TRANSFERS and the structure of the report would be Income, Expenses, Transfers, and then a grand total Excess Income/Expense.