payroll is out of balance with actual payments

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bjwhitson

payroll is out of balance with actual payments

Post by bjwhitson »

I am using PC+ ver 12.2 and have used Power church for over 12 years. Here's my problem this time -

I have an employee who receives a gift that varies in amount every 6 months or so. At the beginning of the year it was $315/month and around July it changed to $325/month. I have a separate item description for this salary item. I process direct deposit for the employee each month and updated the banking information with the updated $325 gift.

I think when I was balancing the July bank statement, I realized that I was off $10 due to the bank entry for direct deposit not matching what I had in the payroll module. Since the payroll module still shows the $315 gift, I believe that I changed the entry in Fund Accounting (a big no-no!) and not payroll.

As I was preparing Form 941 for the 3rd qtr, that's when I realized my error. Now I'm trying to correct the payroll entry correctly so that the Form 941 and year-end W-2s will be correct. If I void that entry and re-enter the correct amount, what happens when I post Payroll? Since the edited payroll entry has already been posted in Fund Accounting, when I post the correct transactions, it seems that I will be overstated by the $10.

I'm stuck! :wall:
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Re: payroll is out of balance with actual payments

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:20 pm
I am using PC+ ver 12.2 and have used Power church for over 12 years. Here's my problem this time -

I have an employee who receives a gift that varies in amount every 6 months or so. At the beginning of the year it was $315/month and around July it changed to $325/month. I have a separate item description for this salary item. I process direct deposit for the employee each month and updated the banking information with the updated $325 gift.

I think when I was balancing the July bank statement, I realized that I was off $10 due to the bank entry for direct deposit not matching what I had in the payroll module. Since the payroll module still shows the $315 gift, I believe that I changed the entry in Fund Accounting (a big no-no!) and not payroll.

As I was preparing Form 941 for the 3rd qtr, that's when I realized my error. Now I'm trying to correct the payroll entry correctly so that the Form 941 and year-end W-2s will be correct. If I void that entry and re-enter the correct amount, what happens when I post Payroll? Since the edited payroll entry has already been posted in Fund Accounting, when I post the correct transactions, it seems that I will be overstated by the $10.

I'm stuck! :wall:
You can void and reissue the check, but then you WILL have the option (as you do in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Contributions) to ONLY post to Payroll.

Obviously, you would post any other transactions in Payroll FIRST, then do this correction.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Re: payroll is out of balance with actual payments

Post by bjwhitson »

Thanks, Neil,
That did the trick. I had forgotten that I could post just to the payroll module.
BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA