Change of Payroll schedule

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

whfpc

Change of Payroll schedule

Post by whfpc »

PC 12 user.
Personnel is requesting that we change from our current pay schedule, 15th and EOM (24 pay periods) to every other week (26 pay periods). This will take some changes in pay dates as well. Currently I am set for the last paycheck to deposit 12/31/21 and the pay dates for that check is 12/1-12/15. I am hoping it's as easy as changing the number of pay periods in powerchurch to 26 instead of 24 and my thought is to make the pay dates for the last check of 2021 12/1-12/24 and begin the first direct deposit January 14 with pay dates 12/25-1/7 with the first payroll deposit 1/14. Am I going in the right direction with this? I do understand it will effect the budget for 2021 since I am adding the extra 9 days. I am always paranoid messing with anything IRS related..... I am not seeing an option to just "change" the pay schedules, does that mean I will have to restart? I have been using PC for 4 years and it still scares me sometimes.

Robin

NeilZ

Re: Change of Payroll schedule

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:16 pm
PC 12 user.
Personnel is requesting that we change from our current pay schedule, 15th and EOM (24 pay periods) to every other week (26 pay periods). This will take some changes in pay dates as well. Currently I am set for the last paycheck to deposit 12/31/21 and the pay dates for that check is 12/1-12/15. I am hoping it's as easy as changing the number of pay periods in powerchurch to 26 instead of 24 and my thought is to make the pay dates for the last check of 2021 12/1-12/24 and begin the first direct deposit January 14 with pay dates 12/25-1/7 with the first payroll deposit 1/14. Am I going in the right direction with this? I do understand it will effect the budget for 2021 since I am adding the extra 9 days. I am always paranoid messing with anything IRS related..... I am not seeing an option to just "change" the pay schedules, does that mean I will have to restart? I have been using PC for 4 years and it still scares me sometimes.

Robin
You don't have to restart anything so don't worry about that. However, you will need to let them understand that while the first check starts in 2021, the entire expense will come out of 2022's budget, there's no easy way to differentiate between budget years when doing an expense. I would let your church board/Session/finance/somesuch group know about this since it will affect the way the expenses are seen.

As far as 'payroll schedule' you won't find anything in Powerchurch that refers to such a thing. You'll find payroll GROUPS ... that's where you can change the frequency from twice a month, to biweekly.

As far as the IRS, they really don't care, as the employees will get paid in 2022, so it won't affect 2021 at all.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Re: Change of Payroll schedule

Post by whfpc »

Thank you!!!! What a relief, I should sleep better tonight :) I appreciate all the help!