Restricted accounts

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

laanra

Restricted accounts

Post by laanra »

First, I want to say how much I appreciate this form!! You are life savers! Now for my problem. On my balance sheet one of my restricted accounts is showing a negative balance. When I do the Account activiity it shows the equity account has a balance of $3,597. The income and release account shows a negative in the same amount. I tried transfer from equity to income which made things look okay on the account activity report but the balance sheet still showed a negative balance. So I reversed that transaction and transfered from equity to income releasing from the release account which of course was wrong. That transaction I also reversed. Please help me with the correct way to get rid of the negative balance on the balance sheet. Thanks so much!

Lois

Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Louis;
Have you figured out how to solve this problem? I am having the same difficulty.

Eileen

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

There is a document here that may help:

http://powerchurch.com/support/answers/ ... icle_id=58

Make sure, firstly, that your income and release accounts are set up with the proper "close to:" equity account. These should both close to the restricted equity account. Your expense and "released from restriction" accounts will close to *unrestricted* equity.

The second thing to look for, is when entering a transaction to spend the restricted funds, you would want the transaction to look like this:

checking account - credit
expense account - debit
(notice the first two lines are like writing any other check)
release account - debit
released from restriction account - credit

The document mentioned above goes into much greater detail here.

Under normal circumstances, unless you are adjusting a beginning balance, you would not ever need to directly affect an equity account in a transaction. The accounts that are set to "close to" that equity account will take care of the equity balance changing automatically when transactions are posted.