Wrong hourly rate - how to correct

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

christybeth

Wrong hourly rate - how to correct

Post by christybeth »

I entered a wrong hourly rate for a new employee for one payroll. What is the best way to fix this? She was underpaid 58 hours by $5. I paid her 58 hours at $18 instead of $23 per hour. I have changed her rate to the correct hourly rate with the next payroll and I was thinking the best way would be to run a separate check for the underpayment with next weeks payroll. Or should I add a pay code to use only with the next payroll for those 58 hours at $5 per hour? Thanks in advance!!

NeilZ

Re: Wrong hourly rate - how to correct

Post by NeilZ »

christybeth wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:12 pm
I entered a wrong hourly rate for a new employee for one payroll. What is the best way to fix this? She was underpaid 58 hours by $5. I paid her 58 hours at $18 instead of $23 per hour. I have changed her rate to the correct hourly rate with the next payroll and I was thinking the best way would be to run a separate check for the underpayment with next weeks payroll. Or should I add a pay code to use only with the next payroll for those 58 hours at $5 per hour? Thanks in advance!!
FWIW ... it would be easier to cut two checks as once you create the pay code, you can't remove it until you do a delete of old data 7 years from now.

From what I can calculate, you can create a separate check for 12.61 hours, and that should cover the error, plus 3 cents. I'd give her the 3 cents just because :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

christybeth

Re: Wrong hourly rate - how to correct

Post by christybeth »

Good to hear that you would opt for the separate check as well and thanks for doing the calculation! Setting up new pay codes for a one time adjustment did not seem like the way to go but it's always nice to get feedback from others. Thank you for your response and have a blessed week!!