Adding Fund Accounts

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RobynS

Adding Fund Accounts

Post by RobynS »

My apologies if this topic has already been dealt with. I can't get beyond the search because it tells me the words "new fund account" are too common.

I am working in PowerChurch Online, and as part of a number of changes within our church, we are moving from a single fund account (01-General Fund) to a variety of fund accounts that will better reflect our income and expenses.

I opened a second fund account (02) and went through the process of saving any account numbers/titles from Fund 01 that would apply. I then went into "Add New Account" (still in Fund 02) to add the remainder of the account numbers, but when I enter a number (and I have tried with a variety of them) it tells me that it is in use, even though a screenshot of Fund-02 tells me it is not. Unfortunately the "Add New Account" process only allows for the four-digit number and a description but not the fund number.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong and how I can go about fixing it.

Many thanks for your help!

Robyn Slee

NeilZ

Re: Adding Fund Accounts

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:30 pm
My apologies if this topic has already been dealt with. I can't get beyond the search because it tells me the words "new fund account" are too common.

I am working in PowerChurch Online, and as part of a number of changes within our church, we are moving from a single fund account (01-General Fund) to a variety of fund accounts that will better reflect our income and expenses.

I opened a second fund account (02) and went through the process of saving any account numbers/titles from Fund 01 that would apply. I then went into "Add New Account" (still in Fund 02) to add the remainder of the account numbers, but when I enter a number (and I have tried with a variety of them) it tells me that it is in use, even though a screenshot of Fund-02 tells me it is not. Unfortunately the "Add New Account" process only allows for the four-digit number and a description but not the fund number.

Please let me know what I am doing wrong and how I can go about fixing it.

Many thanks for your help!

Robyn Slee
If the number is being used in Fund 01, you cannot reuse the number in Fund 02. EVEN if you made the account inactive in Fund 01, you cannot reuse the number in Fund 02 and not use the same Description. For instance, if in Fund 01 you have account 1320-000 with description Bank CD, you have to use that account number in Fund 02 for the same description.

Your best bet would be to run a Chart of Accounts Fund Comparison which will show you what account numbers are being used (or have been used) in all Accounting Funds.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RobynS

Post by RobynS »

Neil - thank you for clarifying this for me. To say the least, it has been challenging trying to find available account numbers in moving from one fund to nine.

I have another related question... In entering these new funds/accounts, I mistakenly labeled a couple of them as "detail" rather than "group." I understand you cannot go back and edit them as they are grayed out. Because we are so short on available account numbers, is there anything short of deleting that account and finding another one nearby that can be done?

Thank you!

Robyn

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:12 pm
Neil - thank you for clarifying this for me. To say the least, it has been challenging trying to find available account numbers in moving from one fund to nine.

I have another related question... In entering these new funds/accounts, I mistakenly labeled a couple of them as "detail" rather than "group." I understand you cannot go back and edit them as they are grayed out. Because we are so short on available account numbers, is there anything short of deleting that account and finding another one nearby that can be done?

Thank you!

Robyn
Have you entered anything into the account? If not, you can probably delete the account and start over with the same number.

Remember, make sure you do a backup of accounting so you can revert in case there's an issue.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RobynS

Post by RobynS »

Thankfully, no, there have been no transactions using these new funds/accounts. I was hopeful that this might be the case, so I will try deleting and re-entering. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
Robyn

RobynS

Post by RobynS »

Hello...it's me again, still trying to set up new funds and accounts.

My next problem is that, while an account newly set up will show as having been entered in Maintain Chart of Accounts, it does not appear when I print the actual chart of accounts for that fund, nor does it appear when I am in Maintain List of Accounting Funds.

I did a print screen for both the chart of accounts and accounting funds list but am not sure how to send it with this message.

Help!

Robyn Slee

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Hello...it's me again, still trying to set up new funds and accounts.

My next problem is that, while an account newly set up will show as having been entered in Maintain Chart of Accounts, it does not appear when I print the actual chart of accounts for that fund, nor does it appear when I am in Maintain List of Accounting Funds.

I did a print screen for both the chart of accounts and accounting funds list but am not sure how to send it with this message.

Help!

Robyn Slee
Did you list it as ACTIVE? Are you sure you have it as assigned to the fund?

Unfortunately, as a security measure, they do not allow uploads of files.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RobynS

Post by RobynS »

Yes, the accounts were active; however, in the meantime I discovered the "add to fund" button and I now have all the correct accounts listed when I print the chart of accounts.

BTW, regarding the previous issue with errors I made entering Group vs. Detail accounts, you were correct in saying you thought it would work to delete the account number (since there were no transactions against it) and add it again. All good!

One additional issue... in the past I would convert reports to either PDF or Excel format to forward to staff who do not work with the program. For the last week or so I haven't been able to do this. I assume this is a tech problem so I should probably notify them.

Thanks for all your help!

Robyn

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:55 pm
Yes, the accounts were active; however, in the meantime I discovered the "add to fund" button and I now have all the correct accounts listed when I print the chart of accounts.

BTW, regarding the previous issue with errors I made entering Group vs. Detail accounts, you were correct in saying you thought it would work to delete the account number (since there were no transactions against it) and add it again. All good!

One additional issue... in the past I would convert reports to either PDF or Excel format to forward to staff who do not work with the program. For the last week or so I haven't been able to do this. I assume this is a tech problem so I should probably notify them.

Thanks for all your help!

Robyn
What version of Powerchurch are you using? Have you updated to the latest MR?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

RobynS

Post by RobynS »

We are using PowerChurch Plus Version 14 (online). There was a recent update that I'm sure we downloaded as I remember clicking to see what changes had been made. I also checked to see that we are current with maintenance releases and there are none to download.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:40 pm
We are using PowerChurch Plus Version 14 (online). There was a recent update that I'm sure we downloaded as I remember clicking to see what changes had been made. I also checked to see that we are current with maintenance releases and there are none to download.
Robyn .. you don't update Powerchurch Online as its done for you. You didn't mention that before which is why I asked about updates.

Yes, I'd call the free support number you have for Powerchurch Online for their assistance.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.