2022 1st Quarter Taxes

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

greenhillpc

2022 1st Quarter Taxes

Post by greenhillpc »

I am trying to generate a 941 report to file our 1st Quarter taxes for 2022, but the system is still showing 2021. I have installed the latest maintenance release, so I'm not sure why this screen hasn't updated for the current year. Any idea what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.

NeilZ

Re: 2022 1st Quarter Taxes

Post by NeilZ »

greenhillpc wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 am
I am trying to generate a 941 report to file our 1st Quarter taxes for 2022, but the system is still showing 2021. I have installed the latest maintenance release, so I'm not sure why this screen hasn't updated for the current year. Any idea what I need to do to make it work? Thank you.
Are you sure that you have downloaded the new MR? I would manually download it to the PCPlusxx (where xx is your version) directory, then close the program if it is open, then reopen. You should get a message that there is a new MR available. The latest is dated March 30th.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

greenhillpc

Post by greenhillpc »

Unfortunately I don't know what PCPlusxx means.

I click on "Help" and "Download Maintenance Release" and the system comes back with "The latest version is already installed."

greenhillpc

Post by greenhillpc »

OK, I went to powerchurch.com/mr and I downloaded pcp115mr.exe and ran it. It appeared to run successfully and prompted me to launch Powerchurch at the end. I tried to run a 941 and I'm still seeing 2021 at the top of the page. When I click on Help the system still tells me that the latest version is already installed. I am able to run a 941 Tax Deposit to see the numbers, which is useful on the accounting end, but I still can't run a 941.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

greenhillpc wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:59 am
Unfortunately I don't know what PCPlusxx means.

I click on "Help" and "Download Maintenance Release" and the system comes back with "The latest version is already installed."
OK ... I'm not sure what version of Powerchurch you're using. Based on the fact you're getting that error and the system shows that you have the latest installed, I'm going to assume that you have version 11.55 installed.

The last MR for v11.55 was in December 2021. Since v12 is the prior release, and v14 is the current release, v11.55 is no long being supported with regular MRs.

This is covered in the Maintenance Release FAQ: https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb. ... =59&type=1

Specifically support for versions are covered here:

What versions of PowerChurch Plus are Maintenance Releases available for?
Currently, Maintenance Releases for versions 7 and higher are available on our web site. The current version of PowerChurch Plus and one prior version are "under maintenance," meaning that new Maintenance Releases are developed from time to time. Older version Maintenance Releases are still available for download, but are a number of years out of date.

My suggestion is to upgrade to v14; currently for the downloaded version the upgrade is $159.00 and can be purchased online.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

greenhillpc

Post by greenhillpc »

Thank you. That makes sense. We are at the point right now where we only use PowerChurch for payroll. If we have to pay to upgrade to something else, odds are that we will drop PowerChurch for a different program. We already use QuickBooks for everything else. I'll have to investigate their fees for payroll. We only have three employees, so I don't want to spend too much to get this done.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

greenhillpc wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:01 pm
Thank you. That makes sense. We are at the point right now where we only use PowerChurch for payroll. If we have to pay to upgrade to something else, odds are that we will drop PowerChurch for a different program. We already use QuickBooks for everything else. I'll have to investigate their fees for payroll. We only have three employees, so I don't want to spend too much to get this done.
Frankly ... Quickbooks is more than overkill for a small church. With Powerchurch you get a fully featured accounting program, fully integrated with contributions, and one place to maintain all Membership and Contribution data, with only one location you need to update for changes.

One of the first churches I used Powerchurch at was using QB for accounting, a home grown program for contributions, and an excel spreadsheet for membership. When we joined we were in the process of building a house. When we finally moved we were getting some stuff at the new house, contributions data being forwarded from our old address, and everything was being coordinated by paper or 'sneakernet' with a flash drive.

Moving to Powerchurch enabled our treasurer, contributions secretary, and office admin to maintain each of their areas without having to worry about data being lost or overwritten.

That said ... based on what I saw on the QB site, you're going to pay QB a monthly fee, plus $4 per employee. For the cost of about 4 months of QB, you can update to v14 of Powerchurch, and save about $375 for the rest of the year.

If the issue is that QB is used by the treasurer at home (which is often the case) then for $110 less a year than using QB payroll, you can move to Powerchurch ONLINE, and people could then access through the Internet. You would have 2 concurrent users, which I suspect would be more than enough.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

greenhillpc

Post by greenhillpc »

Our issue is that our office used to have four people (Secretary, Treasurer, Tech Person, Pastor) and now that office is down to just one person (me) and a part-time pastor who is only at the church on Sundays. The person who set up PowerChurch died suddenly a few years ago and he was the only person who knew how PowerChurch worked. Upon his death, I switched everything except Payroll over to QuickBooks because it was a program I already knew very well.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

greenhillpc wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:29 am
Our issue is that our office used to have four people (Secretary, Treasurer, Tech Person, Pastor) and now that office is down to just one person (me) and a part-time pastor who is only at the church on Sundays. The person who set up PowerChurch died suddenly a few years ago and he was the only person who knew how PowerChurch worked. Upon his death, I switched everything except Payroll over to QuickBooks because it was a program I already knew very well.
Sorry to hear that, my suggestion is to keep using Powerchurch for payroll but learn how to fill out the 941 manually.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.