Post expenses within books that i don't cut checks for

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bking403

Post expenses within books that i don't cut checks for

Post by bking403 »

I have committe members who lead retreats how do i apply or post their cost ? For example if they lead a retreat we cover their registration and stay , how would i show that their cost was covered same as with our general presbyter who attends this is expensed from his professional expense but i need to show it come out of his expense and applied to Spiritual Formation income.

NeilZ

Re: Post expenses within books that i don't cut checks for

Post by NeilZ »

bking403 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:24 am
I have committe members who lead retreats how do i apply or post their cost ? For example if they lead a retreat we cover their registration and stay , how would i show that their cost was covered same as with our general presbyter who attends this is expensed from his professional expense but i need to show it come out of his expense and applied to Spiritual Formation income.
How do you pay for these? I'm assuming you issue a check, or use a Credit Card. How do you normally expense any purchase?

You create the Invoice or Manual Check in Accounts Payable, use the checking or credit-card account as normal, but use the expense line for the individual.

Then again, I need more info on what you mean by 'show it in income'? We'll need more details on how these retreats are setup, as in who runs them, who pays for the retreat center, how do you show income, etc, etc, etc.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bking403

Post by bking403 »

I would cut a check when i mail out however when they pay me the registration i apply it their income account , and when i have to pay for the cooks, and place where they stay it is paid out of checking account and expense shows up in there expense account.

But i was shown to do a general journal for exammple from our GP's professioanl expense to debit his professional expense and credit the spirtual formation retreat his registration amount.

I pay the retreat center and the cooks, they take a loss, i issue a check to the center, to the one who leads the retreat with an honoraium and reimburse them mileage which comes from Spirtual Formation expenses and the center and cost to reimburse the cooks for the food they buy gets expenses from Spiritual Formation Retreats, also the cost of the cooks stay and who ever is hosting gets expenses from Spirtiual Formation with a general journal amount as a debit and Spirtal formation retreats get credited.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bking403 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:43 am
I would cut a check when i mail out however when they pay me the registration i apply it their income account , and when i have to pay for the cooks, and place where they stay it is paid out of checking account and expense shows up in there expense account.

But i was shown to do a general journal for exammple from our GP's professioanl expense to debit his professional expense and credit the spirtual formation retreat his registration amount.

I pay the retreat center and the cooks, they take a loss, i issue a check to the center, to the one who leads the retreat with an honoraium and reimburse them mileage which comes from Spirtual Formation expenses and the center and cost to reimburse the cooks for the food they buy gets expenses from Spiritual Formation Retreats, also the cost of the cooks stay and who ever is hosting gets expenses from Spirtiual Formation with a general journal amount as a debit and Spirtal formation retreats get credited.
OK ... there's still not enough data, as I have no idea what the relationship you have between the retreat center and your organization. I'm assuming that you're a church, or even a presbytery that sponsors these retreats.

In the past, when I've accepted registrations for such retreats, I've used the Accounts Receivable module to track who has paid, and thus give them a receipt for the funds. The AR item is setup to DEBIT the checking account and CREDIT Retreat income (in your case Spiritual Formation). In this manner you have a full audit trail for that income.

However, you shouldn't be creating a journal transaction for the GP's expense. You would create a MANUAL CHECK that CREDITs the income account, and DEBITS the GP's professional expense account. Again, this gives a full audit trail showing where the funds are coming from and where they are going.

As far as the cost of the lodging for cooks, etc. That should be a normal retreat expense, and there should be such an expense account setup. Again, I don't understand what you mean by:
also the cost of the cooks stay and who ever is hosting gets expenses from Spiritual Formation with a general journal amount as a debit and Spiritual formation retreats get credited.
Who gets this payment? Where do these funds go? Again, not understanding the relationship between your organization and the retreat center, I can only work on the assumption that you send a check to cover these costs, and as such, a check should be written to someone to cover this, so I don't understand the need to create a journal entry.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.