closing a business

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bjwhitson

closing a business

Post by bjwhitson »

I'm using PC+ version 12.2 and have an unusual questions - I think.
We have had a Mothers' Morning Out (MMO) program for the past 10-12 years and have decided for several reasons to close it permanently. It has a separate EIN from the church and a separate bank account. I know when I file the 3rd qtr Form 941, I need to mark it as the final filing. But can I file the W-2s at the end of 3rd qtr or do I have to wait till January?

Also, is there a way to delete the associated accounts, in Fund accounting, payroll and contributions, (after I print all my reports) to keep the data base as clean as possible? I plan to hand over the administrator position to someone new in the next 2 years and it would be easier to not have to explain all that when we won't be using it.

Thanks in advance for your advice, as always.
Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Re: closing a business

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:23 pm
I'm using PC+ version 12.2 and have an unusual questions - I think.
We have had a Mothers' Morning Out (MMO) program for the past 10-12 years and have decided for several reasons to close it permanently. It has a separate EIN from the church and a separate bank account. I know when I file the 3rd qtr Form 941, I need to mark it as the final filing. But can I file the W-2s at the end of 3rd qtr or do I have to wait till January?
I do believe you have to wait until January of 2023, for a number of reasons. Mainly there may be a new form for 2022, the Social Security Administration will not accept any inputs until then, etc, etc.

That said, I'd try talking to an accountant to be sure.
Also, is there a way to delete the associated accounts, in Fund accounting, payroll and contributions, (after I print all my reports) to keep the data base as clean as possible? I plan to hand over the administrator position to someone new in the next 2 years and it would be easier to not have to explain all that when we won't be using it.

Thanks in advance for your advice, as always.
Betsy
You cannot delete any accounts from the system as you have to maintain the data for at least 4 years per the IRS. You can, however, make all those accounts inactive, so they won't show up in any reports. That said, what accounts are you talking about in Payroll and Contributions? Again, you have to maintain the history of donations, so you can't delete any Contribution Funds. Could you be more specific about what you're asking?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Re: closing a business

Post by bjwhitson »

Hi Neil,
I was thinking about all the income and expense accounts in Fund Accounting but your comment about keeping records for 4 years makes me think simply making them all inactive is the better way to go. In all my years of doing church bookkeeping, I've never had to close an operation before.
Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA