Incorrect Fund on Posted Check

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

hartwv

Incorrect Fund on Posted Check

Post by hartwv »

I just discovered that a check written and posted in the prior month was written from the income account rather than the expense account. How should I correct this?

NeilZ

Re: Incorrect Fund on Posted Check

Post by NeilZ »

hartwv wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:20 am
I just discovered that a check written and posted in the prior month was written from the income account rather than the expense account. How should I correct this?
I'm going to assume you didn't close any months. There is no need to do that any more, and its not advisable to do so.

Go back into Accounts Payable -> Maintain Vendor Records, find the vendor in question. Head to the HISTORY tab and locate the check. Select the check and click on the VOID key.

If you're using v11.x, you'll have to reenter all the information on a manual check using the same date, vendor, amount, expense (DEBIT) account but with the correct CREDIT account.

If you're using v12 or 14, after clicking on VOID, you'll get the "Void Accounts Payable" window. Check the Reissue Check box, but DO NOT check the Print Check box. Adjust the date to reflect the date the original check was printed. The system will create two new manual checks, one for the VOID and one to replace the voided check. Go into Maintain Manual Checks and find the REPLACEMENT check. Adjust the CREDIT account to reflect the checking account (I'm assuming).

You can post these changes now to Fund Accounting if you want, or wait until other bills have been paid and do it all at once. When posted in Funds Accounting, the system will make the adjustments based on the date of the voided check, and the replacement. Which is why you need to make sure that the replacement has the correct date.

I'd then go back to the VENDOR record and see what accounts are setup on the Account information tab. Someone may have entered the wrong account number there for the banking account.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.