Transfer between Checking and Savings

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

cbrown

Transfer between Checking and Savings

Post by cbrown »

Neil, I have a similar situation. We transferred cash from checking to savings within the same accounting fund. When I try to balance the checking account the amount is off by the amount of the transfer. Here is my transaction. This may be a forrest and trees thing....

01-1120-000 Operations checking credit $1
01-1230-000 Savings debit $1

NeilZ

Re: Funds Transfer

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:09 pm
Neil, I have a similar situation. We transferred cash from checking to savings within the same accounting fund. When I try to balance the checking account the amount is off by the amount of the transfer. Here is my transaction. This may be a forrest and trees thing....

01-1120-000 Operations checking credit $1
01-1230-000 Savings debit $1
This is actually a different situation, you're staying within the same accounting fund, if you were moving funds to another accounting fund it would be similiar to the previous issue.

I'm going to assume that you created the transaction in Funds Accounting. Did you post that transaction, and did it appear in the monthly checking reconciliation as a Check and other subtraction ? Did it also appear on the bank statement as a transfer?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Re: Transfer between Checking and Savings

Post by cbrown »

I found the problem. I knew it was something simple. I was using the beginning balance instead of the ending balance of the bank statement. I’ve only done 1000 of these so after all this time you think I'd get it right!

NeilZ

Re: Transfer between Checking and Savings

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:23 am
I found the problem. I knew it was something simple. I was using the beginning balance instead of the ending balance of the bank statement. I’ve only done 1000 of these so after all this time you think I'd get it right!
Yep ... definitely a "DOH" moment :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.