Reconciliation Error

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

StPaulUCC2

Reconciliation Error

Post by StPaulUCC2 »

I just started working with PowerChurch 14 this year. Back in February I had $1.89 difference in my bank reconciliation and it is still showing up every month since. I have only entered contributions/invoices/payroll through July. I have tried to figure out what the problem is but at this point I would just like to make an entry to correct it if possible. I need to subtract the $1.89 to make it balance. Thanks for your help.

NeilZ

Re: Reconciliation Error

Post by NeilZ »

StPaulUCC2 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:56 pm
I just started working with PowerChurch 14 this year. Back in February I had $1.89 difference in my bank reconciliation and it is still showing up every month since. I have only entered contributions/invoices/payroll through July. I have tried to figure out what the problem is but at this point I would just like to make an entry to correct it if possible. I need to subtract the $1.89 to make it balance. Thanks for your help.
Normally, I recommend trying to figure out where the error came from. Usually a incorrectly entered deposit, or EFT made payment and 'fat fingered' when entering. If you started using PCPlus this year, it could have come from an incorrect starting balance.

However, this fix is one that is not a normal entry, in fact it is NOT recommended without checking with an Accountant.

That said, I'm assuming that at the reconciliation the Powerchurch balance, does not equal the bank statement balance, and that the Powerchurch Balance is OVER by that $1.89.

In which case, when its time to reconcile the Checking Account again, do the following:

First do a Powerchurch backup of the ACCOUNTING files only, this will allow you to restore Accounting to what it was when you began, but not affect any other parts of Powerchurch (Membership, Contributions, etc).

Then you would go into Fund Accounting to enter a transaction. Set the Posting Month to the month of the Checking Account Statement, and use the date of entry as the last date that the statement covers. IE: Statement for Sept goes through the 30th, so posting month is SEPT, and date 2022-09-30.

For the Ref/Check no: enter OOB (Out Of Balance). Enter a Transaction desc: that means sense to you. I would definitely give a full explanation of why you created the transaction in the COMMENTS box at the bottom of the form for audit purposes.

For the Account use the Checking Account number and enter $1.89 in the CREDIT column. Make your comments at the bottom then SAVE. The system WILL NOT give you a warning as it sees this is an OUT OF BALANCE transaction.

Then POST ACCOUNTING to update the system. Then do your reconciliation. It should then result in a 0.00 as the bottom line.

If not, restore from the backup, and come back here for advice. I suspect it will be OK.

Again this is not recommended as a 'normal' way of fixing this issue, and again not without talking to your accountant.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

StPaulUCC2

Re: Reconciliation Error

Post by StPaulUCC2 »

That fixed my problem. Thanks so much for your help. I realize it would be wise to consultant an accountant but we are a small church and don't use the services of an accountant...unfortunately. It was my fault for entering the wrong bank balance and I have the bank statement showing the correct amount. I believe this will satisfy the audit committee.