Payroll from 2 Separate Accounting Systems

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Amma

Payroll from 2 Separate Accounting Systems

Post by Amma »

Hello!
Our background:
We are currently using PowerChurch for payroll and contributions ONLY (V10.4). We use Quicken for check writing & bank reconciliation, etc. We are about to upgrade to V14 and use it for EVERYTHING, so are trying to figure out how to do somethings in the sophisticated Power Church that we just "finagle" with our current system/setup.

We are a church that was gifted a dorm(with residents), and the dorm runs it's own set of accounting books (not in PowerChurch). HOWEVER, we are under the same FEIN so we run their payroll through PowerChurch so we can send in one set of 941s and W2s, etc. Since we do not use PowerChurch for accounting, we currently just print their paychecks on their checks (coming from their separate checking account), but have all the payroll info we need in PowerChurch for reporting, etc. (We use a dummy A/R account & Payroll Tax Liability account for when they transfer their portion of payroll taxes to us and when we send it in monthly)

And to make bookkeeping extra fun, we have several employees that work for both the church and the dorm. :roll:

Questions:
(1) How do we make this kind of payroll arrangement work in Power Church? It seems to me that I would need to set up a separate, "dummy" Fund for them, with its own bank account and Payroll expense accounts at least, so I could select that bank account when setting up their pay items, etc. But then my brain starts doing acrobatics trying to figure out what to do when it comes to paying the payroll taxes, how to balance these accounting equations, and won't this mess up our balance sheet, etc???

(2) Currently, with the employees that work both places, I figure payroll for one location (eg the church) and put those employees in that group. Then I figure payroll for the other location by manually switching pay groups for those employees. Is this the best way to do this??? OR would setting up duplicate employees (Like Sally1 & Sally2) be better, then at year end just combining their info manually for their W2's? (It could be 5 or 6 people we would need to do this for)

Appreciate any advice you have!

NeilZ

Re: Payroll from 2 Separate Accounting Systems

Post by NeilZ »

Wow ... that's a lot to process.

My first idea was to actually hire someone proficient with Powerchurch and accounting to help you figure out how to merge everything.

The Powerchurch site lists trainers, but I'm sure that they would come in to assist you at a fee. That may actually be a cheaper and easier way to go, rather then you trying to figure it out on your own, and spending hours trying to fix something that they would have seen before anything got started.

Not sure where you're located, but here's the link to that list: https://www.powerchurch.com/training/consultants.php
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Amma

Re: Payroll from 2 Separate Accounting Systems

Post by Amma »

Thank you Mr. Neil, we will look into the PC professionals