entering cash for a teen camp

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

BobP

entering cash for a teen camp

Post by BobP »

I was given cash from the youth pastor that a parent had given him for their kids camp fee, I then wrote a check to the camp. How do I enter the income/transaction? I am new to powerchurch so have a lot to learn

NeilZ

Re: entering cash for a teen camp

Post by NeilZ »

BobP wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:51 pm
I was given cash from the youth pastor that a parent had given him for their kids camp fee, I then wrote a check to the camp. How do I enter the income/transaction? I am new to powerchurch so have a lot to learn
Since its not income to the church, its a 'pass thru' contribution. What you should have done was deposit the funds, and create a deposit transaction in Funds Accounting, debiting the Checking Account, and Crediting a liability account that you should have for such 'pass thru' collections. This is often used when you have the Gideons come in to talk, and there's a collection, or the like.

Then what you do is write a check, in your case to the camp, crediting the checking account, and debiting the liability account.

Since the money was not intended to be income for the church, this provides the mechanism for an audit trail of the funds.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.