Help in preparing the quarterly Form 941

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bjwhitson

Help in preparing the quarterly Form 941

Post by bjwhitson »

I've used PC+ for over 15 years, Financial admin for 30, currently using version 14.4

Each quarter when I prepare the Form 941,I have to go in and update the monthly tax deposits that I make for withholdings. Is there a special transaction, or account, that I should use so that the monthly tax liability amounts are populated correctly (line 18 on the form). Other than that one thing, the form 941 is about 98% accurate.

Thanks for the answers that always come quickly :)

BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

sgbani

Re: Help in preparing the quarterly Form 941

Post by sgbani »

bjwhitson wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:28 pm
I've used PC+ for over 15 years, Financial admin for 30, currently using version 14.4

Each quarter when I prepare the Form 941,I have to go in and update the monthly tax deposits that I make for withholdings. Is there a special transaction, or account, that I should use so that the monthly tax liability amounts are populated correctly (line 18 on the form). Other than that one thing, the form 941 is about 98% accurate.

Thanks for the answers that always come quickly :)

BJW
Do you mean line 16 on form 941 where you break out the amounts for month1, month2, month3?
I ask because line 18 on form 941 is about seasonal employer.

When running payroll, do you use the "create accounts payable entries" option within the payroll module to auto-create the AP entry for the IRS (and state if applies to you)?
If yes, do you have to modify that AP amount for the deposit to correct for the proper amount to remit to the IRS?

If the monthly amounts are not showing up in the 941 form generation in PC+, how do you handle any rounding errors / adjustments? Do you calculate the correct amounts and compare with what you deposited to determine any adjustments? (line 7 on form 941)

So, my response below assumes you are talking about the amounts automatically summing and showing up in line 16 of form 941, where it separates out the deposit amounts by month within the given quarter.

I ask these questions because we have our payroll setup in PC+ to have employer liability tax items (social security, medicare, other items) which are auto-calculated for each payroll, and put into the payroll liability account we use. Since they are associated as a Social Security or Medicare tax type, they combine with the employee deduction of the same type. Then, when it comes down to tax deposit or 941 form calculation within PowerChurch, everything auto-populates and auto-sums.
It also means when we do monthly tax deposits, we do not have to make any adjustments to the AP transaction, it simply sums everything together correctly.

When I run the 941 quarterly tax return process within PC+ (where it gives me the option at the end to create a PDF or link to filing electronically), the withholding amounts (both employee and employer amounts) are properly summed and included for each month. They match my selected payroll data report.
If I run the tax deposit report, either for a given month, or the entire quarter, it also properly sums the employee and employer amounts of SSA / Medicare, as well as all the other employee withholdings.

This took a bit of time to properly setup in payroll (both for item descriptions and the employees) because the previous treasurer did the employer withholding liabilities by hand every month. I wanted to automate it by adding them as extra pay items that would be part of each employees paycheck.
I also wanted every payroll related AP entry to be auto-tabulated / created, and utilize that functionality within PC+.
So, I had to first understand how the previous treasurer was doing it, and then figure out how to organize and use the employer liability items in PC+ to make payroll and paying IRS / state taxes / benefits, etc., far easier / quicker, and with less errors.

Hope this helps, but if I misinterpreted the issue, my apologies.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

Thanks for your detailed response! I'm not sure I followed it all, but here's how I've set it up -
Yes, I did mean line 16 where it shows each month's tax liability. I usually have to go in and adjust those 3 amounts based on what I actually paid.

I set up the accounts in 2018 when we transitioned from another system. I don't remember setting up the "create accounts payable entries" option but it is, in fact, populated. There are 2 accounts - one for EFTPS, the online IRS payment system and one for GA DOR, the GA Dept. of Revenue. Both transactions for the monthly deposit are correct, i.e., they show the correct withholding amounts for each employee.

I also checked each employee's Pay Items. Each one is set up to use the Social Security tax table or the Medicare Tax table.

One thing I just noticed is that, while I have Payroll Item Descriptions set up for Employer SSI and Employer Medicare, I don't actually use those items anywhere. I'm not sure how I would - do you think that's the problem?

I did check an entry for 3rd qtr 2023 on the create accounts payable entries tab. All the entries are there for the 4 employees, FIT, Social security and Medicare for the EFTPS vendor account. The SIT is correct for the GADOR vendor. The amount that shows up on line 16 is the total of the FIT ($110), Social Security($224.73) and Medicare ($52.56) withholding amounts = $387.29. So it includes the employee withholdings but doesn't show the employer match of $224.73 + $52.56 =$277.29. The total deposit I made for that months is $664.58 - $227.29*2 + $110.00. So I end up having to enter that amount on line 16 of the generated Form 941.

Hope my explanation of what I'm doing makes sense - but I'm obviously missing a critical piece!
BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

sgbani

Post by sgbani »

bjwhitson wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm

One thing I just noticed is that, while I have Payroll Item Descriptions set up for Employer SSI and Employer Medicare, I don't actually use those items anywhere. I'm not sure how I would - do you think that's the problem?

BJW
I suspect this is the issue. If you have payroll item descriptions for Employer SSI and Employer Medicare, you should add them to every employee that has those deductions apply.

Meaning, in the Maintain Employee section of Payroll, find the employee, and add these pay items to the employee. Since you have the tax tables for SSI / Medicare already setup, these should auto-calculate and match the employee withholding amounts right then and there.
So, what I have for an employee, is the following payroll pay items in the maintain employee window.

Item Name: ----------------------Item Type:
Admin Assistants----------------- Income
FED W/H:------------------------- Tax Deduction
SSI:-------------------------------- Tax Deduction
Medicare:------------------------ Tax Deduction
State W/H:---------------------- Tax Deduction
Employer SSI:------------------- Employer Liability
Employer Medicare: ----------- Employer Liability
Employer Pension: ------------- Employer Liability

*the employer pension is an employer contribution for lay employees that our church has.

Every pay item above has a value populated in the amount column for this particular employee.

What is nice is at the bottom of this same window, it shows the gross salary, tax deductions, any other deductions, the final check amount, but mostly the employer liabilities all added up for that one employee.

Now, since you would label the Employer portion of SSI / Medicare as an Employer Liability in the payroll item description, you can point those item descriptions to the proper vendor (IRS, for example). This way, when you need to create the AP for the IRS, you can use the 'Create Accounts Payable Entries' features of the payroll module in PC+.
The amount that shows for the IRS vendor should be the summation of all deductions + employer liabilities that point to the IRS vendor within the item description.
It makes my life easier, as I do not have to mess with the AP entry at all. It just auto-creates in the AP module. I still have to post it, and do the actual EFTPS payment, but that's straightforward; as the PC+ work is already done for me.

If I run a 941 tax deposit report for the given month, it separates out by pay items, so I can check that SSI and Medicare have matching Employer amounts, and then summarizes the three nicely between Fed withholding, SSI, and Medicare.

Then, when 941 time comes around, all the values properly show up in the 941 report at the appropriate spots, summed, and match what they are supposed to be (if one double-checks the math).

In summary, when I do it the way I describe above (as I also am using v14.4), all the numbers auto-populate in the 941 as needed, the vendor amounts for paying in AP, and calculate out correctly (if I were to double-check my math). So, it is much easier to run payroll now.

I assume what you could do is a backup, then run a mock payroll after adding the employer pay items; test out all the reports / math to see if it works. Then, restore.
I had to do this a number of times when I was trying to add these features because I couldn't figure out how to use some of these payroll options.

Hope this helps.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

Thanks so much for the explanation! I'll give it a try this weekend and report back!
BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I've added those Liability items to my payroll records. I see how it's populated for the payroll taxes account and or the tax liability account. Guess I have to wait till I get ready to process the 1st 2024 form 941 to see how it works - I think I'm on the right track!
Thanks so much!
BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I finally got to processing the 1st qtr 941 and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much for your help on getting this issue resolved!
Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA