Payroll - Direct Deposit/Check Issue

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

sumc

Payroll - Direct Deposit/Check Issue

Post by sumc »

Hello,
I need help. I paid someone via direct deposit but it went to someone else's account when it came to the ACH. We were able to get the money back but in the meantime, the employee was issued a check cause they rightfully needed their money. The payroll transaction in PowerChurch was correct as well as her W2, it's just that the money went somewhere else and we were able to get it back. So now I have two transactions, the payroll transaction and a check which was issued. I can't figure out how to bring the two together and correct in PowerChurch. I don't want to void the Payroll transaction because it is correct but I have to record the check which was issued somehow. When the payment was returned, I put it through the Contribution module. How do I rectify this without affecting the W2? Hope I am making sense. Thank you so much!

NeilZ

Re: Payroll - Direct Deposit/Check Issue

Post by NeilZ »

sumc wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:06 pm
Hello,
I need help. I paid someone via direct deposit but it went to someone else's account when it came to the ACH. We were able to get the money back but in the meantime, the employee was issued a check cause they rightfully needed their money. The payroll transaction in PowerChurch was correct as well as her W2, it's just that the money went somewhere else and we were able to get it back. So now I have two transactions, the payroll transaction and a check which was issued. I can't figure out how to bring the two together and correct in PowerChurch. I don't want to void the Payroll transaction because it is correct but I have to record the check which was issued somehow. When the payment was returned, I put it through the Contribution module. How do I rectify this without affecting the W2? Hope I am making sense. Thank you so much!
1. Post Payroll to fund accounting
2. Go to the Maintain list of employees function in payroll
3. Find the employee in the list, and head to the Check History tab.
4. VOID the existing transaction, the system will then pop up a dialog box asking if you want to reissue the check
5. Check the reissue check box, enter the proper date, and check number, but do not check print check and click OK
6. Then post payroll again.

If you have any transaction for the replacement check in accounts payable, DELETE or VOID it.
In future if this happens, the returned amount needs to be processed as a transaction through Fund Accounting not contributions as its not income. However, it won't be a balanced transaction, so it has to be an 'out of balance' deposit transaction. You can find more about OOB transactions in the User Guide.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

sumc

Re: Payroll - Direct Deposit/Check Issue

Post by sumc »

Wow! I knew there was a fix. Thank you so much

Yes, it's going to be out of balance. Thanks again :-)