Credit card refunded more than was originally charged

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gccc

Credit card refunded more than was originally charged

Post by gccc »

I recently had an experience with a rental car company where they charged our credit card and then issued a refund because of an overcharge. When they issued the refund, it was for $.12 more than the original charge. I contacted them with the error, but they basically said to keep it. I now have a $.12 credit in my liability account. Can you explain to me what should be done with this overage?

NeilZ

Re: Credit card refunded more than was originally charged

Post by NeilZ »

gccc wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:37 am
I recently had an experience with a rental car company where they charged our credit card and then issued a refund because of an overcharge. When they issued the refund, it was for $.12 more than the original charge. I contacted them with the error, but they basically said to keep it. I now have a $.12 credit in my liability account. Can you explain to me what should be done with this overage?
While technically its a 'donation' to the church, 12 cents is nothing to worry about. The credit card company will just use that credit on the next bill. Your CC liability account will never clear to zero as you're probably adding new charges to the system which occur after the closing date of the CC bill.
So just let it slide as you're never going to see 'real money' for that small amount.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

gccc

Post by gccc »

Actually, it was a credit from Budget Car Rental and not Visa, so the credit can't be used up by future charges. I would really like to clear it from the liability account as it is just sitting in the Purchases and Other Transactions list in reconciliation waiting to be cleared. Could you explain how to move it from the liability account into our general fund?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

gccc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:36 am
Actually, it was a credit from Budget Car Rental and not Visa, so the credit can't be used up by future charges. I would really like to clear it from the liability account as it is just sitting in the Purchases and Other Transactions list in reconciliation waiting to be cleared. Could you explain how to move it from the liability account into our general fund?
How did you get the credit? In cash? A refund to the Visa? Please explain.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.