Payroll Liabilities

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CorinthBC

Payroll Liabilities

Post by CorinthBC »

Is there a single report I can run that will show both Federal and State payroll liabilities for the previous month AND include totals for Social Security & Medicare?

The 941 Tax Deposit report shows all the Federal items and includes totals for Social Security, Medicare, and Federal Withholding, but obviously does not include State withholding.

The Payroll Item Summary reports shows everything, but I have to manually add Employee and Employer amounts for Social Security and Medicare to get the totals needed for filing my 941.

sgbani

Re: Payroll Liabilities

Post by sgbani »

Well, there are a couple of options based on my interpretation

1) If you use the 941 Calculation Report, does that give you partially information for what you need for filing the 941?
This report's usefulness may depend on what efiling service you use for filing 941 (assuming you use such an efiling service).

1b) If you run the 941 quarterly tax return feature within PowerChurch Plus, but simply save the ending file as a PDF draft of the report, does that give you what you require?
I use this quite often, in addition to the 941 calculation report, because the formatting matches what I see on the electronic submission service I use for the 941.

Accounting->Payroll->Tax Reporting->941 Quarterly Tax Return

2) When I run our payroll Item Summary report, everything does show up, yes. But, most importantly, the Employer SSI and Employer Medicare pay items are listed separately from employee withholding of SSI / Medicare.

So, therefore when I run this payroll item summary report, I get everything you ask for, state withholding, all appropriate federal/SSI/Medicare withholdings, including all employer liability amounts.
Yes, I have to manually add the SSI and Medicare values between employee and employer, but I don't do that because other reports I mention above give me the answers I need to fill out the 941, in a much cleaner format.

May I ask if you have the employer liability of Social Security and Medicare setup as pay items for each appropriate employee?
If not, you should consider adding these employer liability pay items.

2b) When I run the 941 tax deposit report, I see five (5) items: Federal withholding, Social Security, Medicare, Employer Social Security, Employer Medicare.

Just some thoughts based on how I do things monthly/quarterly for such liabilities.

CorinthBC

Post by CorinthBC »

1) None of the 941 reports include State withholdings. To answer your questions, yes, I get some of what I need, but not all I need in a single report.

2) Exactly. The report that does show the State withholdings forces me to do the math myself. I see the same five items you mentioned, and then I have to pull out a $5 calculator to finish doing the math that this $400 piece of software saw no need to do for me. I only asked the question here because I thought perhaps there was a report I had not yet found that does it all or maybe there was a way to tweak a report to get it to add it up. It is, after all, a repetitive task that must be done every month.

2b) I'd never claim to have 100% confidence, but I'm 97.44% sure I have the payroll items set up correctly for Employer SS & Medicare. The 941 Tax Deposit report lists all five items you mentioned including Employer SS and Med. I created a quarterly 941 PDF for the first quarter 2024 and everything was correct there as well. And to check it, I'm still double entering everything in our soon-to-expire Quickbooks Desktop 2021. I get the same results in PowerChurch that I get in Quickbooks when I go through the Pay Liabilities process. (I'm doing double entry for the time being so if I ever do mess up in PowerChurch, I can compare it to the Quickbooks process I've used for several years.)

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CorinthBC wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:38 pm
1) None of the 941 reports include State withholdings. To answer your questions, yes, I get some of what I need, but not all I need in a single report.

2) Exactly. The report that does show the State withholdings forces me to do the math myself. I see the same five items you mentioned, and then I have to pull out a $5 calculator to finish doing the math that this $400 piece of software saw no need to do for me. I only asked the question here because I thought perhaps there was a report I had not yet found that does it all or maybe there was a way to tweak a report to get it to add it up. It is, after all, a repetitive task that must be done every month.

2b) I'd never claim to have 100% confidence, but I'm 97.44% sure I have the payroll items set up correctly for Employer SS & Medicare. The 941 Tax Deposit report lists all five items you mentioned including Employer SS and Med. I created a quarterly 941 PDF for the first quarter 2024 and everything was correct there as well. And to check it, I'm still double entering everything in our soon-to-expire Quickbooks Desktop 2021. I get the same results in PowerChurch that I get in Quickbooks when I go through the Pay Liabilities process. (I'm doing double entry for the time being so if I ever do mess up in PowerChurch, I can compare it to the Quickbooks process I've used for several years.)
1. You're never going to get a single report that does what you want it to do unless you create a custom report. As far as the 941 report, that gives you exactly what you need to file taxes monthly, and the actual 941 report that it generates quarterly, is exactly the form that you have to file. There is no need to do anything with the Item Summary report outside of using it for your state filings.

2. i don't know what state you're in, but many states do not require monthly filings if the payroll is under a certain amount. They usually require quarterly filings, for which I use the Quarterly Report, which allows you to only select the item you want to see, and will total it up for you.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CorinthBC

Post by CorinthBC »

I work for two churches in North Carolina. One church requires monthly filing and the other is under the limit and qualifies for quarterly filing.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CorinthBC wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am
I work for two churches in North Carolina. One church requires monthly filing and the other is under the limit and qualifies for quarterly filing.
Well .. .for the quarterly, you can use the quarterly report as I advised. However, for the monthly, you'll need to create a custom report.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.