envelope numbers switched

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Dean

envelope numbers switched

Post by Dean »

Through a mistake in the information I was given I have two envelope numbers switched. "Bob" actually has envelope number 100, but his profile has envelope number 200 assigned to it. "Carol" actually has envelope number 200, but her profile has envelope number 100 assigned to it.
Another way of saying this is that the contributions are under the correct envelope number, but the envelope number is under the incorrect name.
What is the best way to have the envelope number and contributions attributed to Carol moved over to Bob? Unless I am missing something, simply reassigning the envelope numbers will not work.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: envelope numbers switched

Post by Zorak »

Yikes.

There really isn't a good way to fix this.

If there aren't too many contributions to correct, you could reverse each of the contributions to 100 and 200 (by entering negative contributions to match each of the existing contributions), post them using the "Contributions Module Only" posting option, then remove each of the envelope numbers from the people (delete the envelope number on the Personal Profile, then click Save). You would then assign 100 and 200 to the right people and reenter all of the contributions. Again, you would use the "Contributions Module Only" posting option.

If there are too many contributions to correct that way, then the next undesirable option would be hinged upon there being no other important information linked to each of these Personal Profiles. For example, if you don't track Attendance or Ministry Services, you could simply update Bob's Personal Profile information with Carol's name and vice versa, then use the Move Profile feature to switch them between their two families.

Unfortunately, neither of these options sound very appealing.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Rats! I was afraid of that.
OK. I guess the lesser of the two evils for me is your first option. I had considered doing that, but was hoping there was some mystical, magical fix!
Thanks for your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

There is a way to do this, I actually had to do this about 5 years ago. I just retested the procedure and it works well.

1. Create two dummy personal profiles, one under Bob's Mailing List profile, and one under Carol's
IE: Test1 Jones under Bob Jones, Test2 Smith under Carol Smith

2. Give the dummy profile the same envelope number as the real person in that household.
IE: Bob has 25, Test1's personal profile should have 25 and so on.

3. Delete the real person's envelope number from their personal profile so that the envelope number is blank.
IE: Delete Bob's envelope from his profile, and do the same for Carol. If any family member (usually the spouse) is also under Bob's number, delete the number from their profile also. Leave the number in the dummy profile, this is what moves the data around.

4. Move the Test1 personal profile to Carol's Mailing List profile, then move the Test2 profile to Bob's.
IE: Test1 Jones moved to Carol Smith, and Test2 Smith, move to Bob Jones

5. Change Bob's envelope number to the number listed on Test2 Smith, then delete Test2 Smith from the Mailing List profile. Do the same under Carol's mailing list.

You won't lose the data, and the envelope entries will now be under the correct people.

As always, do a FULL BACKUP of the data before you try this, and I always make sure that no one else is doing updates when I do this.

Cheers,
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

NeilZ wrote:There is a way to do this, I actually had to do this about 5 years ago. I just retested the procedure and it works well.

1. Create two dummy personal profiles, one under Bob's Mailing List profile, and one under Carol's
IE: Test1 Jones under Bob Jones, Test2 Smith under Carol Smith

2. Give the dummy profile the same envelope number as the real person in that household.
IE: Bob has 25, Test1's personal profile should have 25 and so on.

3. Delete the real person's envelope number from their personal profile so that the envelope number is blank.
IE: Delete Bob's envelope from his profile, and do the same for Carol. If any family member (usually the spouse) is also under Bob's number, delete the number from their profile also. Leave the number in the dummy profile, this is what moves the data around.

4. Move the Test1 personal profile to Carol's Mailing List profile, then move the Test2 profile to Bob's.
IE: Test1 Jones moved to Carol Smith, and Test2 Smith, move to Bob Jones

5. Change Bob's envelope number to the number listed on Test2 Smith, then delete Test2 Smith from the Mailing List profile. Do the same under Carol's mailing list.

You won't lose the data, and the envelope entries will now be under the correct people.

As always, do a FULL BACKUP of the data before you try this, and I always make sure that no one else is doing updates when I do this.

Cheers,
See, Neil, you aren't the only one that still learns new things about PowerChurch Plus every day!

That's a really, really smart way of going about this. Good job.

Dean

Post by Dean »

Very nice, NeilZ!
Unfortunately, I had already re-entered the information as previously suggested, but I really like this solution. Thanks for sharing.
dean

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I've got to say that I love this online forum! I just realized that I had this problem and was getting ready to go the first route when I decided to check the forum. Did my backup, followed Neil's suggestion and 10 minutes later, the files are all corrected! Thanks, Dean for first posting the question, and thanks, Zorak and Neil for your answers!
Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:57 pm
I've got to say that I love this online forum! I just realized that I had this problem and was getting ready to go the first route when I decided to check the forum. Did my backup, followed Neil's suggestion and 10 minutes later, the files are all corrected! Thanks, Dean for first posting the question, and thanks, Zorak and Neil for your answers!
Betsy
I'm glad to see that this 13 year old answer still is applicable today ... :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.