Import Contributions Type

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Donnamel

Import Contributions Type

Post by Donnamel »

I have been importing contributions from NCS for our online contributors. I added a contribution type - Online. When I import those contributions PC+ says there is no 'on' type. How do I know what the program used as the designation for the type that I added. I have to manually change every one after I import to be "Online".

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Import Contributions Type

Post by Zorak »

How is it that you are importing these contributions? The "Import Contributions" process that is built-in to the program does not allow contribution type as one of the fields to import. It allows you to choose the type from a dropdown list of existing contribution types, where online is one of the built-in defaults.

Donnamel

Post by Donnamel »

I'm thinking that I gave you incorrect information. In PC+ on the Select File screen there is a drop down menu. I have added a type - online. On the Confirmation screen it says "Code on not known". so I click on each person and make the change to Type to Online manually.

If I am able to add a Contribution type, it should be universally accepted.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

OK, the answer that I got back from Program Development was that they can see this type of thing happening if there are more fields in the import file than what the program is expecting. We will get a bug written up about this and it will be updated in a future Maintenance Release. You can, in the meantime, format the file in Excel prior to importing into PowerChurch, deleting any columns of information that don't line up with what is shown on the screen when you first open the Import Contributions screen.

Donnamel

Post by Donnamel »

I do reformat the file in Excel before I import. I'm pretty sure the problem is after I select the file on the Confirmation screen. That is where the problem is. The type that I added is not recognized.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Donnamel wrote:I do reformat the file in Excel before I import. I'm pretty sure the problem is after I select the file on the Confirmation screen. That is where the problem is. The type that I added is not recognized.
Which version are you using ?? If I remember right for versions 11+ online was one of the default types created on program installation.

Try this ... all the types are all lower case. From what you said in the first message, you created type Online with a capital. Try to edit it to all lower case!!

Couldn't hurt.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Donnamel

Post by Donnamel »

We have version 11.1. Neil - I checked in the Help and the Maintain Custom Codes does list Online as one of the types along with Cash, Check, and Credit Card - all listed with a capital letter. I tried to edit and the program said that was already in use.

So if Online is already a type of contribution, why am I having this problem?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Send us one of your import files as an attachment to an e-mail addressed to data@powerchurch.com. We'll take a look and see if we can recreate the issue.

Donnamel

Post by Donnamel »

I just tried another import. I was under the assumption that anything after memo would be ignored. I tried some different information in the next few columns and found it trying to use the 9th column(column I) as input for the type. I have nothing in column H. but I keep the names and addresses in the columns after that. I will now leave some blank columns on my import and that should work.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Donnamel wrote:I just tried another import. I was under the assumption that anything after memo would be ignored. I tried some different information in the next few columns and found it trying to use the 9th column(column I) as input for the type. I have nothing in column H. but I keep the names and addresses in the columns after that. I will now leave some blank columns on my import and that should work.

I would make a copy of the file, and just delete everything after the 8th column, and use the copy for the inport.

As far as the capitalization. Yes, the help show's them capitalized, but as installed, the types are all lower case. it was just an idea, probably not worth the pixels .. ;)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Right, that's what we were seeing here. So, now we have written up a bug and the fix will come out in the next Maintenance Release. Until that time, just remove everything else from the file before importing.