Export Contributions to Excel

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Dave-Trailhead

Export Contributions to Excel

Post by Dave-Trailhead »

I need to export all our contributions to a spreadsheet format. I can't seem to find any export functionality except export to .txt format, and the output is not very helpful.

I need each distinct contribution on a separate row, with all the information for that contribution on the same row, with the fields (e.g., envelope #, date, fund #, amount, type, name, designations) in separate columns.

This seems like a pretty basic functionality, but I can't find anything to get me what I need.
Any ideas?

NeilZ

Re: Export Contributions to Excel

Post by NeilZ »

Dave-Trailhead wrote:I need to export all our contributions to a spreadsheet format. I can't seem to find any export functionality except export to .txt format, and the output is not very helpful.

I need each distinct contribution on a separate row, with all the information for that contribution on the same row, with the fields (e.g., envelope #, date, fund #, amount, type, name, designations) in separate columns.

This seems like a pretty basic functionality, but I can't find anything to get me what I need.
Any ideas?
Have you considered creating a custom report ?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Dave-Trailhead

Post by Dave-Trailhead »

I had considered it, but have never done one before so I didn't know where to start once I got into creating it.

I'm willing to try it, but could really use some guidance on how to get started.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Dave-Trailhead wrote:I had considered it, but have never done one before so I didn't know where to start once I got into creating it.

I'm willing to try it, but could really use some guidance on how to get started.
Well .. you could spend the money to get the custom report tutorial .. money well spent in my opinion:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb.php?id=25&type=1

But this Knowledgebase Article could give you an idea of what is involved:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb. ... 136&type=1
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

As you've discovered, the data export in Contributions is intended for use with an envelope printing company, and doesn't actually do what you need. There are a couple of different ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. The easier, but less flexible, way is to export any of the existing reports. The most likely one in your case is the Posted Contributions report. You can export it as an Excel file, but you will almost certainly have to do some editing after the fact to get everything like you want.

The other option (as NeilZ correctly mentioned) is to create a custom report. This particular report would be pretty easy (as custom reports go). The process for creating a custom report is way beyond the scope of what can be covered here, but here's the quick version (modify as needed to complete your task):

Contributions -> Other Output -> Custom Reports

Posted info

Add a new report

"Pick a field" - Contribution Date
"Pick an Operator" - between two dates
"Enter a Value" - Ask Later (this will give you the ability to select the date range when you run the report)

Done (run now? Yes)

Fields to pick: contribution date, envelope number, fund number, contribution amount, contribution type desc, (whatever else you want)

Done

Pick Output Type: Text file with comma separated fields (.csv - this can be opened in Excel). Specify a name if you like.

You can now run the query (you'll be prompted for date range). The outputted file can be found in your c:\powerchurch\pcplus115 directory, unless you've specified a different save path.

This will give you what you're looking for. If you need further information on Custom Reports, there's a whole chapter devoted to them in the manual (starting on page 405 in v11.5 manual).

There are also several examples on our website in the Knowledge Base:
http://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb.p ... bsearch=Go

For more in-depth information, we also have a Custom Reports tutorial available here: http://www.powerchurch.com/products/crtutorial.php

We do also provide a custom report service where we can create this for you for a small fee. You can send an email to customreports@powerchurch.com for a quote, or give us a call at (800) 486-1800.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

juliejpr

Post by juliejpr »

Okay, forgive me, but there is a rant coming.

PowerChurch is an expensive program that sells itself on ease of use. The ability to either run relevant reports or export to a widely used program such as Excel, should be included, or it is NOT easy to use.

Most churches don't have money or time to learm computer programming, which is what the custom report is.
Three lines in and I got lost. We are mostly volunteers or semi-volunteers, and my church can't afford anything more.

I know Excel well from my work world, and when I hit a snag, there are 20 people even more experienced who can help me out. For PowerChurch, unless you can afford paid support, there is just this forum. I just don't find it acceptable to give answers that include paying more money and learning to be a computer programmer.

Every week I'm asked to run reports that cannot easily be run from PowerChurch, and I am more than a little frustrated. I'm considering setting up seperate records in Excel so that I can provide these reports. I believe it would be shorter in the long run.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for listening.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

juliejpr wrote:Okay, forgive me, but there is a rant coming.

PowerChurch is an expensive program that sells itself on ease of use. The ability to either run relevant reports or export to a widely used program such as Excel, should be included, or it is NOT easy to use.

Most churches don't have money or time to learm computer programming, which is what the custom report is.
Three lines in and I got lost. We are mostly volunteers or semi-volunteers, and my church can't afford anything more.

I know Excel well from my work world, and when I hit a snag, there are 20 people even more experienced who can help me out. For PowerChurch, unless you can afford paid support, there is just this forum. I just don't find it acceptable to give answers that include paying more money and learning to be a computer programmer.

Every week I'm asked to run reports that cannot easily be run from PowerChurch, and I am more than a little frustrated. I'm considering setting up seperate records in Excel so that I can provide these reports. I believe it would be shorter in the long run.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for listening.
Good rant ... that said, Powerchurch was designed to provide to churches a cost-effective way to consolidate all membership, financial and event information. It does not have the customer base of an Intuit, where they have the resources to create and include instantly modifiable reports.

That may come in the future, but right now we have what we have.

So, what types of reports are you being asked for? Are there any that may be applicable to other churches ?
What types of export have you tried from Powerchurch??

Have you tried doing a custom report? In reality the initial data selection is very easy, and you can select what you want to pull from the database, then export it to an Excel spreadsheet where you can then manipulate it to your satisfaction.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

juliejpr

Post by juliejpr »

Our church only uses the accounting side, because our church secretary refused to use it after seeing how hard it was to run, after the other program she was using. She went back to it. Everyone else who has tried to use other aspects of the program has given up after great frustration.

We don't need a Cadillace, we just need a dependable Chevy that will get us where we want to go.

We would like to make simple comparisons of giving from one year to the next. To me, that doesn't seem too much to ask.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

juliejpr wrote:Our church only uses the accounting side, because our church secretary refused to use it after seeing how hard it was to run, after the other program she was using. She went back to it. Everyone else who has tried to use other aspects of the program has given up after great frustration.

We don't need a Cadillace, we just need a dependable Chevy that will get us where we want to go.

We would like to make simple comparisons of giving from one year to the next. To me, that doesn't seem too much to ask.

What version of Powerchurch are you using ??

I'm not sure what the secretary is saying about 'hard to use' ?? Having used the program for over 13 years, at many different churches, I've never heard the membership and contributions area called 'hard to use'. It may not be what they were used to, but once the system has been loaded with data, its very easy to use.

Since you're only using the Accounting side, its much harder to do comparisons of giving, since you don't have the contributions data to do this, only the weekly deposits; unless you're including contributions as part of the 'accounting' side.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

juliejpr

Post by juliejpr »

Yes, I was including Contributions under Accounting. We have 11.1.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

juliejpr wrote:Yes, I was including Contributions under Accounting. We have 11.1.
OK .. so you're using two separate membership programs because the secretary doesn't want to learn a new program. That's a major synchronization issue, but that's not the primary issue here.

As far as the giving comparison, have you tried running the Monthly Contribution Totals report for each year, exporting them to Excel, then combining the two ??

That said, this does sound like a good idea for a modification to an existing standard report, or a new report. Something that can be used to compare contributor's giving across a few years.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Dave-Trailhead

Post by Dave-Trailhead »

Thanks so much to NeilZ for the response and to Zaphod for the step by step! It is working great! Exactly what I needed, and it saved me a ton of time editing the report output!

Thanks so much!