Contribution - FAQs

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NeilZ

Contribution - FAQs

Post by NeilZ »

When I run Contribution Statements all I see is a name and address, everything else is blank. No dates, no fund names, no amounts

Version 11.1 and higher now allow you to select which Contribution Funds are displayed on Contribution Statements. Make sure that you have the box for include on statements checked.

Will we run into any issues by posting last years contributions now since the new year has begun? We still have to input the last week of donations from last year.

If you're using version 11, not at all. As long as you use a date in December for entering the contributions, the transaction created will be dated for December. You can verify this by viewing the unposted transaction in Funds Accounting after you post. Once in Funds Accounting, the system will use the transaction date to post to the correct month.

If you're using v10 or earlier, you should make sure that after you post to Funds Accounting, that the Deposit Transactions created are posted to the correct month. This is done manually by selecting the month, and the transactions you want to post to that month.

Just a note, its not a good thing to delay entering Contributions if you're also using the Accounting module. Delaying will throw off reports, and not reflect the current checkbook balance.

I want to restart Accounting, but I'm worried that I'll lose all my Contributions data and history!!

There is much confusion about the relationship between the Contributions Database and the Accounting Database. A Contribution Fund does not equate to a Fund Accounting Fund. Two different things.

Contributions and Funds Accounting are Two Separate Modules and Databases. There is really no DIRECT interaction between them, other than when Contributions are posted over to Funds Accounting, and when you are setting up a new Contribution Fund. The setup routine just reads the Chart of Accounts so you can select the correct accounts to debit & credit.

When you Post Contributions to Funds Accounting, it simply calls a routine that creates a transaction and places it in the Unposted Transaction Queue of Funds Accounting using the account numbers that were located previously.

However, if you're going to restart accounting, then you're going to have to revisit the Contribution Fund setup module to adjust the Contribution Funds to point to the new accounts you've setup.

What happens when you POST CONTRIBUTIONS?

Posting Contributions is usually done when you've received the deposit receipt back from the bank. Its not a good idea to post until this is returned as there may have been an entry error. This usually happens with any loose cash in the plate as you should be verifying the check amounts entered using the printed Bank Deposit slip report. If you wait to post, you can adjust for miscounts and other issues. Using the bank deposit receipt makes sure that the amounts sent to Accounting is correct, saving a lot of time having to correct amounts in Funds Accounting.

If you're using the Accounting Module, and have setup your Contribution Funds to point to the correct bank and income accounts. When you post using the Post Contributions to Funds Accounting option, the system will create a transaction to reflect the entire deposit to the bank, and update the proper income accounts (IE: Funds going to Tithes & Offerings income are separate from those going to Building income).

If you use the Update Funds Accounting via File the system creates the same transaction, but allows you to save it to a file which you would then bring to another copy of Powerchurch to load to Funds Accounting. This is usually done where there is a separate computer used for accounting, and it is not networked with the Membership/Contributions computer.

The other two posting options (Print a report, Post only to Contributions) should be used if you're not using Powerchurch for accounting. The first option for print, will create a report that can be used to manually input data to a third-party accounting system. The post only option only posts data to Contributions, nothing more. This option can be used when making adjustments to Contributions without affecting the amounts sent to accounting. Usually this is used to modify an entry such as the wrong envelope number was credited with the donation. The amount did not change, but the Contributions records need to be updated.

In all cases, Posting Contributions updates the Contributions database to reflect the donation by each giver, how it affects any pledges, as well as update the totals for Contribution reports.