Contributions from Deleted Profiles

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TimothyW

Contributions from Deleted Profiles

Post by TimothyW »

I would like to remove the information from "99999 - Contributions from Deleted Profiles". The profiles and contributions have already been updated and accounting is posted properly. But when I run contribution reports, this envelope cause major confusion as to the actual contributions received. Is there a way to delete the amounts listed here? They do not appear in the accounting but I am unable to pull up that system file and delete it. Thank you for your help!

FYI, I am new to PCPlus, so I have the latest system!

NeilZ

Re: Contributions from Deleted Profiles

Post by NeilZ »

TimothyW wrote:I would like to remove the information from "99999 - Contributions from Deleted Profiles". The profiles and contributions have already been updated and accounting is posted properly. But when I run contribution reports, this envelope cause major confusion as to the actual contributions received. Is there a way to delete the amounts listed here? They do not appear in the accounting but I am unable to pull up that system file and delete it. Thank you for your help!

FYI, I am new to PCPlus, so I have the latest system!
This is a system number. You this information cannot be deleted during normal use, when it comes time to delete old data, any contributions in this envelope that fall between the dates entered will be cleaned up. This system number is used to store such data as they are still contributions amounts that need to be added to the month or year totals. Just because the amounts were given by people no longer with the church, doesn't mean that you can wipe them off the records.

These are funds that were eventually deposited into your bank account, so it has to be kept available.

BTW .. I hope you are not deleting information and profiles before 4 years have past. The IRS requires churches to maintain at least 4 years of contribution records.

You can find out about other IRS requirements in IRS Pub 1828: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

championcpa

Post by championcpa »

We just discovered a similar problem. Although we've used PC for about 20 years only this year have we seen a contribution posted as described. The person actually has Envelope #17 but a recent gift showed up as 99999. Her profile is definitely there as is the Env. #

When printing a report for all posted contributions to 99999, lo and behold there appeared 4 additional contributions, all traceable back to this person but not recorded under Env. #17. The Bank deposit slip for each month shows her name and Env. #17 but doesn't post to her account.

When I try to reassign those contributions to her envelope number, the message appears that 99999 is not found - yet I can pull up a report, Posted Contributions (Envelope No. Sequence) showing Env. #99999 with offerings each month.

I cannot enter a negative amount and post to her actual Env. # because in Enter Contributions, #99999 is not found. How can I fix this? She wants a corrected statement which I cannot provide.

Thanks for your help.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

championcpa wrote:Although we've used PC for about 20 years only this year have we seen a contribution posted as described.
There was a maintenance release a few years back that started warning about this situation. It normally comes from restoring a Contributions Files backup from another computer, where the envelope numbers don't match what is assigned on this computer.

You won't be able to move contributions directly into 99999, it is for system use only. Instead, assign that envelope number to someone, then delete the number from them. PowerChurch will then move the contributions into the 99999 number for you.

championcpa

Post by championcpa »

We are current on version, I don't think that is the issue. And we never restore on this main computer from a backup. This is our primary source of data. I don't believe anyone even knows how to restore only a single module anyway.

The issue is not to add contributions to 99999. Somehow they got posted there instead of to #17 even though contemporaneous Bank Deposit printouts show #17.

I did try to give 'Someone Else' Env. #99999 but the system says that Posted Contributions exist for this envelope. I want to get those already posted to 99999 to #17 where they belong.

Thanks but do you have another idea?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

championcpa wrote:We are current on version, I don't think that is the issue. And we never restore on this main computer from a backup. This is our primary source of data. I don't believe anyone even knows how to restore only a single module anyway.

The issue is not to add contributions to 99999. Somehow they got posted there instead of to #17 even though contemporaneous Bank Deposit printouts show #17.

I did try to give 'Someone Else' Env. #99999 but the system says that Posted Contributions exist for this envelope. I want to get those already posted to 99999 to #17 where they belong.

Thanks but do you have another idea?
Can you check to see if someone may have accidentally deleted the member's Personal Profile at some point, then re-entered the information? That's the only way (AFAIK) contributions can be posted to the 99999 envelope number. You can check the Membership Audit Log located under Membership -> Personal Profiles -> Setup.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

championcpa

Post by championcpa »

Aha! That's the answer. Thanks so much. Two folks married and the Office Manager deleted one of them from Family Mailing and also Personal Profile then reentered PP. I just talked with a tech person, Doug, who has to remote in to fix this. As I am a volunteer and not at church and don't trust anyone else with this, I will call back later this week when I am there to get this done.
Thanks so very much for solving this problem!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

championcpa wrote:Aha! That's the answer. Thanks so much. Two folks married and the Office Manager deleted one of them from Family Mailing and also Personal Profile then reentered PP. I just talked with a tech person, Doug, who has to remote in to fix this. As I am a volunteer and not at church and don't trust anyone else with this, I will call back later this week when I am there to get this done.
Thanks so very much for solving this problem!

The Office Manager needs to read the manual on how to MOVE A PERSONAL PROFILE.

Basically when you have a marriage within the church family the following is done:

1. MOVE the spouse from their OLD Mailing List Profile, to the Mailing List Profile that will be used.
2. Delete the OLD Mailing List Profile.
3. Update the merged Mailing List Profile to add the spouse to the address line, new address, email, phone, etc.
4. Update the spouse's Personal Profile with the new married name (if required), married date, and other info as needed.
5. MERGE the Spouses contribution envelope number with the other spouses by using the 'Reassign Envelope Number" function in Contributions. This happens if they want to then file taxes as a couple, not separately.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

kirwin

Post by kirwin »

Unfortunately, I have done what the office manager in this thread did but for a different reason. The result is the same; the contribution from the deleted profile has now been moved to "contributions from deleted profiles".

My concern is that the offering is in the posted batch twice now because I didn't reverse the gift before deleting the profile. The gift from the deleted profile (now system envelope 99999) is still showing in the posted contributions batch in addition to actual gift from the donor. Any suggestions on how I can fix my error?

Thank you,
Kathy

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

kirwin wrote:Unfortunately, I have done what the office manager in this thread did but for a different reason. The result is the same; the contribution from the deleted profile has now been moved to "contributions from deleted profiles".

My concern is that the offering is in the posted batch twice now because I didn't reverse the gift before deleting the profile. The gift from the deleted profile (now system envelope 99999) is still showing in the posted contributions batch in addition to actual gift from the donor. Any suggestions on how I can fix my error?

Thank you,
Kathy
When did you delete the profile, before posting contributions or after ?? If you posted before deletion, then the amount would not change in the deposit.

What do you mean that it is showing in the posted contributions batch??

Additional data is required.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

AllenKski

Post by AllenKski »

I'll give details in my case. All names, dates and amounts have been changed to protect the innocent.
I had told our data-entry person that envelope #129 - for John Old, who last gave a 10 years ago - is now available for contribution entries under a new name - Jane New. Trouble was I forgot to delete John Old from PowerChurch. So an offering of $40 from Jane New came in, and was put in with envelope #129 on Sept 6 and posted. Oops, wrong name.
A month later, I saw it. I ran the Posted Contributions report, verified the total amount and the envelope number #129 for Sept 6, and then deleted the John Old profile. I ran the Posted Contributions report again, and the total was the same, because the $40 was now under the shared envelope. So I wanted to remove the shared envelope amount of $40 (i.e., add a negative $40 contribution), then add the profile for Jane New with envelope #129, and finally make a positive $40 contribution for the new correct #129.

As mentioned above, PowerChurch will not let me touch 99999. Is there a way around this?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

AllenKski wrote:I'll give details in my case. All names, dates and amounts have been changed to protect the innocent.
I had told our data-entry person that envelope #129 - for John Old, who last gave a 10 years ago - is now available for contribution entries under a new name - Jane New. Trouble was I forgot to delete John Old from PowerChurch. So an offering of $40 from Jane New came in, and was put in with envelope #129 on Sept 6 and posted. Oops, wrong name.
A month later, I saw it. I ran the Posted Contributions report, verified the total amount and the envelope number #129 for Sept 6, and then deleted the John Old profile. I ran the Posted Contributions report again, and the total was the same, because the $40 was now under the shared envelope. So I wanted to remove the shared envelope amount of $40 (i.e., add a negative $40 contribution), then add the profile for Jane New with envelope #129, and finally make a positive $40 contribution for the new correct #129.

As mentioned above, PowerChurch will not let me touch 99999. Is there a way around this?
Well ... first off:

The way to have fixed the initial problem was to move Mr Old's personal profile to Ms. New's Mailing List profile. Give Ms. New the same envelope number as Mr. Old, then delete Mr. Old's profile.

Now .. how to fix the 99999 issue.

I've not tried this, but it may work.

1: do a backup of the system so you can return back to the original state in case this doesn't work.

2: make sure all contributions are posted.

3: Add a fake user mailing list profile and personal profile. Use any envelope number you want here.

4: Add a contribution for that envelope for -40.00. Then post to Contributions Only not to Funds Accounting

5: Then delete the fake account.

Then go and check the contributions report to see if its 40 dollars less.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

AllenKski

Post by AllenKski »

NeilZ,
Fantastic! The 99999 solution worked. Thanks very much for the advice and the quick response!
I thought I was going to have to go back to our backup and re-add a bunch of transactions before correcting.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

AllenKski wrote:NeilZ,
Fantastic! The 99999 solution worked. Thanks very much for the advice and the quick response!
I thought I was going to have to go back to our backup and re-add a bunch of transactions before correcting.
As long as the Funds Accounting income was not affected by the original entries, you should be good. :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.