New Vanco Import Process

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

wms7328

New Vanco Import Process

Post by wms7328 »

The most recent Maintenance Release for PC 11.5 changed the way you can import data from VANCO. You have to get a User ID and PW from Vanco, takes a request that they processed in a few hours. Once you enter that info and tell PC the accounting information you can download contributions from VANCO with one button which is a great improvement over having to download the VANCO data file, store it on your computer and then import that file into PC. However, in setting it up today I've found a couple of issues that may make it a little less useful:

1) For churches that use VANCO's pledge system where people can make their pledge and also set up payments, you end up with two VANCO accounts. One for normal contributions that people set up and one for payments set up through the pledge system. VANCO will send you two sets of User ID's and PW's for the PC setup referenced above. However, to import for both of these VANCO accounts you would have to change the log on info through setup each time you wanted to import the other account. While this can be done, it's going to make it a little more work than just logging on to VANCO once and downloading both of your data files with one logon. It would be great if PC would allow for two different sets of Log on information and download both accounts at same time.

2) The other issue has to do with how the bank records the deposits from VANCO. As example, this past week, VANCO made 13 separate deposits to our bank accounts which will be shown on bank statement as 13 separate deposits. In the past I would post all the contributions downloaded for the week as one accounting transaction and then use the VANCO summary reports showing all the deposits to insure the total was correct. Under the new import system you don't have the option to transfer to fund accounting as one transaction, it transfers each date as a separate transaction and they don't necessarily correspond to the daily deposits made at the bank. The total for the week will agree but it's going to make much more difficult when I reconcile the bank account each month to match up the deposits shown on bank account with what is shown in fund accounting. This can be resolved by giving you the option to post to fund accounting as one transaction as we could before. That way it will show the total in fund accounting for the week and should match the total bank deposits for the week.

I do very much like the protection it provides for not duplicating contributions. Under the old file import system, if you mistakenly imported an old file, it duplicated your contributions which then had to be reversed one at a time. Under the new system, once you tell it the last date you imported, then it checks to make sure it doesn't import duplicate contributions. This will certainly reduce errors that can lead to duplicate contributions.

Please consider the two changes I mentioned above and this would be a very good improvement over the current file import system.

NeilZ

Re: New Vanco Import Process

Post by NeilZ »

My own 2 cents on this. Not so sure that much can be done on this end, as Powerchurch has to code to accomodate what Vanco is now sending. However, I'd copy all this into an email and send it to the wishlist at wishlist@powerchurch.com.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

Thanks, this new method does simplify the process. I would think that you could have two different setup screens for Vanco Account 1 and one for Vanco Account 2, then when importing you could select either account or both. For posting as one accounting transaction, that option is now available under file import option, suggesting they keep that option for import Vanco file option.

I will send to wishlist.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

Thanks, thanks, You guys are the best customer support ever. I had contacted you earlier (2 days ago) about a problem with the first maintenance release changing the VANCO import process and creating accounting transactions that did not match my bank deposits. Part of the issue is how I had set up the accounts and you identified and helped me correct that. Now with this last maintenance release (issued today 9/16), the deposits import easily and exactly match the bank deposits in amounts and dates. This will greatly simply our import process and your work to so quickly resolve the issue is greatly appreciated.

You are aware of the issue of some people having two VANCO accounts and I'm sure you will find a way to accommodate that in the future.

Again, thanks for your quick attention to my issue and the quick resolution.

beas

Post by beas »

Setting up for the new Vanco process. I have my user name and password. When I get to the section about whether we're a current user, I select the third radio button which asks me to list the latest file that hasn't been imported. However, I have no file that I haven''t already imported to PC+ so I'm not allowed to go on from there. Any workaround for this or do I need to wait until the file is emailed to me Friday night?
Bill Beasley
Secretary-Treasurer
Neighborhood Church
Albany, Oregon
User since ~1988

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

If you use the third option you will have to wait until you get the next update file and then use that one. I think you could also use the option to specify the last date that you received contributions, think that option is one that says you enter the data manually. I would suggest you just use the last update option since that will insure that you get everything. VANCO has several dates listed and it's a little confusing on which one you would choose as the last update I think.

beas

Post by beas »

wms7328 wrote:If you use the third option you will have to wait until you get the next update file and then use that one. I think you could also use the option to specify the last date that you received contributions, think that option is one that says you enter the data manually. I would suggest you just use the last update option since that will insure that you get everything. VANCO has several dates listed and it's a little confusing on which one you would choose as the last update I think.
Thanks. That's what I figured. I'll just wait it out.
Bill Beasley
Secretary-Treasurer
Neighborhood Church
Albany, Oregon
User since ~1988