contribution designations

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

yoknox

contribution designations

Post by yoknox »

I realize I have not set up Powerchurch properly in the contribution designation area and wanted to run this by someone more knowledgeable before I really mess things up. I do have the various types of contributions set up in the list of contribution fund just not designated. I'll use Missions as an example. I have a donor missions restricted account (properly set up using the system add button) and when someone contributes to a specific missionary which the church supports, enter under contributions screen using the contribution fund for Missions and type in those designated in the memo field. When the money is sent to those specific missionaries, I release the funds. If I go back now and set up in designated funds, will it cause a problem. The contributions fund is set up to go to the designated missions restricted income account and to the general fund. Most of our missionaries are paid from the general fund. Rather than this going into the general fund, should there be a missions fund set up and the designated fund directed to that account. Thanks.

NeilZ

Re: contribution designations

Post by NeilZ »

yoknox wrote:I realize I have not set up Powerchurch properly in the contribution designation area and wanted to run this by someone more knowledgeable before I really mess things up. I do have the various types of contributions set up in the list of contribution fund just not designated. I'll use Missions as an example. I have a donor missions restricted account (properly set up using the system add button) and when someone contributes to a specific missionary which the church supports, enter under contributions screen using the contribution fund for Missions and type in those designated in the memo field. When the money is sent to those specific missionaries, I release the funds. If I go back now and set up in designated funds, will it cause a problem. The contributions fund is set up to go to the designated missions restricted income account and to the general fund. Most of our missionaries are paid from the general fund. Rather than this going into the general fund, should there be a missions fund set up and the designated fund directed to that account. Thanks.
This is more a Funds Accounting issue. Contributions just puts the income over to Funds Accounting, writing checks and releasing those funds are done in Accounting.

If you write checks out of General, but have a Temporarily Restricted Income Account for missions under General, when you write the check, you then release the funds using the Release Funds button on the invoice or manual check screen. This will release the amount you request from the temporary restrictions. Admittedly, this is an internal accounting thing, but if you run a Cash Management Report you'll find that the funds are 'set aside' in the report and not available for normal day-to-day use.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.