Fund Types and Funds

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

dadcowell

Fund Types and Funds

Post by dadcowell »

I'm not understanding what Fund Types are and the difference between Funds and Fund Type.

I have set up several Funds including for example "General", "Missions", "Other Non-Tax Deductible" and "Youth".

Most of the tithes are allocated to the general Fund. So if someone wants to contribute to Missions instead of General, they can.

Some times special requests are made to the congregation. For example, a temporary appeal was made for the church to purchase bikes for inner city kids. What I did was allowed the Missions fund to accept designations. I also allowed the Other Non-Tax Deductible fund to accept money from people who are saving for next year's Isreal trip. So I set up an Isreal designation.

So here comes my question. What if I only want donations for those Bikes to be allowed under Missions and I only want the money for the Isreal trip to be allowed under Other Non-Tax Deductible fund? If you open up the Missions fund currently the program will allow the Isreal Trip designation to be selected. I would like it to be greyed out.

Is my babbling clear?

NeilZ

Re: Fund Types and Funds

Post by NeilZ »

dadcowell wrote:I'm not understanding what Fund Types are and the difference between Funds and Fund Type.

I have set up several Funds including for example "General", "Missions", "Other Non-Tax Deductible" and "Youth".

Most of the tithes are allocated to the general Fund. So if someone wants to contribute to Missions instead of General, they can.

Some times special requests are made to the congregation. For example, a temporary appeal was made for the church to purchase bikes for inner city kids. What I did was allowed the Missions fund to accept designations. I also allowed the Other Non-Tax Deductible fund to accept money from people who are saving for next year's Isreal trip. So I set up an Isreal designation.

So here comes my question. What if I only want donations for those Bikes to be allowed under Missions and I only want the money for the Isreal trip to be allowed under Other Non-Tax Deductible fund? If you open up the Missions fund currently the program will allow the Isreal Trip designation to be selected. I would like it to be greyed out.

Is my babbling clear?
Not in the least.

First off, what version of Powerchurch are you using? The reason I ask, is that you can set any fund as Non-Deductible under v11.x by simply unchecking a checkbox next to the Include fund on statement on the Maintain List of Contribution Funds. This will not print the contributions to this fund on the contributor's Contributions Statement. Thus you can have the Israel fund setup to not show on the statement, and have the Mission fund appear.

Second: Contribution Fund Types are a totally optional field that you can use for grouping on reports, and so on. For instance, I have a Fund Type called "Office Use Only", this marks the fund as something that is not normally used when entering Sunday contributions.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The thought process behind fund types is to allow you to select funds together in a report that don't have consecutive fund numbers.

For example, you have fund numbers 1, 250, and 1300 that you want to see together on a report. Without assigning the same fund type to each of those funds, you wouldn't be able to bring them together in a report without also including the other funds with numbers in that range.

dadcowell

Post by dadcowell »

Thank you for your responses. I am using 11.5.
Fund types are now clear to me, and I understand that I can uncheck the box to not report some receipts on the year end statement of contributions.

Can some one tell me if there is a way where the data entry person can only apply a designation to one specific fund.
It seems like if you allow designations for a fund, that all designations appear when you open that fund during the data entry process.

Bill

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dadcowell wrote:Thank you for your responses. I am using 11.5.
Fund types are now clear to me, and I understand that I can uncheck the box to not report some receipts on the year end statement of contributions.

Can some one tell me if there is a way where the data entry person can only apply a designation to one specific fund.
It seems like if you allow designations for a fund, that all designations appear when you open that fund during the data entry process.

Bill
You can create a specific Fund Type, then assign that Fund Type to that one or more Contribution Funds, then assign designations to appear only in those funds when you setup the designations under the Maintain List of Designations function. The pull down labeled Contribution Fund Type on the Settings tab allows you to do that.

You can find out more about this via the build-in help system by searching for the topic: Tracking Designated Contributions in the built-in help; for by pressing the F1 key with the Maintain List of Designations screen open.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

dadcowell

Post by dadcowell »

Neil,

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.

Bill

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dadcowell wrote:Neil,

Thanks so much. Worked like a charm.

Bill
Good to hear ..
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

mcwallace8

Post by mcwallace8 »

Are contribution fund types only available if you are using the Accounting Module too? I have not set up our Accounting Module and when I try to use contribution fund type in the Maintain List of Contribution Funds, the only option that appears is "<none>" in the dropdown. There is no option to set up new on the fly. I'm having the same challenge as the person who posted here first. thanks

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

mcwallace8 wrote:Are contribution fund types only available if you are using the Accounting Module too? I have not set up our Accounting Module and when I try to use contribution fund type in the Maintain List of Contribution Funds, the only option that appears is "<none>" in the dropdown. There is no option to set up new on the fly. I'm having the same challenge as the person who posted here first. thanks
What version of Powerchurch are you using? In versions 11.5 (and I think 11.1) and higher, you should be able to add a fund type using the drop down selection of Add New Code. If you're using an earlier version, you'd have to create one using the Create Custom Codes function under the Contributions Menu. I no longer have a copy of 10.5 loaded to verify where this is, sorry. Obviously, you need to have the permissions to add such codes.

You do not need to have Accounting setup to use Fund Types are these are Contribution codes only, and really have no bearing on Accounting.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.