Contribution Credited to Wrong Donor

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

chandrespickett

Contribution Credited to Wrong Donor

Post by chandrespickett »

I've just become our church treasurer, and have spent the past month exploring PowerChurch, the manual, and these forums as I try and learn the ropes. As you're all much more experienced, I'm hopeful you'll be able to answer my question.

I printed and have begun delivering/mailing the year-end contribution reports. I got an email from one of our members today that two contributions were missing from their report. They provided check numbers and the dates on the checks. I did a quick search of all the contributions for a couple of weeks around each check date, hoping to see the check numbers somewhere in the search. I found them rather quickly, actually, posted under her adult son's name.

The manual, which I've been reading forwards and backwards already, mentions needing to delete the contributions by posting a negative amount and reentering the contribution. Because I'm so very new to this, and because these transactions are from February and July, I'd feel much better with someone walking me through what to do without throwing off our accounting for last year.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

-Chandres

karlaj

Re: Contribution Credited to Wrong Donor

Post by karlaj »

Just go to enter contributions. I would type the date that the incorrect transaction was posted. Then select contributor and say if you posted $100 to the contributor incorrectly, then enter -100.00 and save. Of course, be sure to enter the transaction of the amount with the contributor that it was intended for. Hope that makes sense!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

karlaj wrote:Just go to enter contributions. I would type the date that the incorrect transaction was posted. Then select contributor and say if you posted $100 to the contributor incorrectly, then enter -100.00 and save. Of course, be sure to enter the transaction of the amount with the contributor that it was intended for. Hope that makes sense!
This is good advice, of course if you're using V11.x, you can find the incorrectly credited Contributor under View Posted Contributions, locate that incorrect contribution in the list, highlight it, and click on the REVERSE button located at the bottom of that window.

This makes sure you a) get the right contributor & b) get the right contribution.

Then to credit the correct contributor, select Enter Contributions from the Contributions menu, set the date for the date of the original contribution, enter the correct envelope number, fund and amount, then save. Do this for every incorrect contribution that was reported.

Once all the corrections have been made, you want to POST CONTRIBUTIONS. HOWEVER you do not want to Update Fund Accounting, you want to post these contributions using the Only Update the Contribution Module option of Post Contributions.

This will correct the data in the Contributions database, without creating another deposit transaction in Funds Accounting, which need not be done since it was already deposited.

However (you knew that was coming right ?) There's a scenario which could require you to post and update Fund Accounting. I don't think this will apply to you now, but its good to know so I'm going to explain why here.

If the contributions were credited to a different Contribution Fund, such as Building which may affect a different income account on the Fund Accounting side; Fund Accounting would need to be updated. In which case you would then post contributions and use the Update Fund Accounting option. The system would then create the proper transactions to correct Funds Accounting without any other manual intervention.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

chandrespickett

Post by chandrespickett »

Oh my goodness, it worked! Thank you both! Thankfully both transactions were for the general fund, so I didn't need to change anything other than the contributor. I've printed and delivered both corrected statements, and have a happy member!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

chandrespickett wrote:Oh my goodness, it worked! Thank you both! Thankfully both transactions were for the general fund, so I didn't need to change anything other than the contributor. I've printed and delivered both corrected statements, and have a happy member!
Glad to hear ..
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.