How to change date on posted contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

satsumaumc

How to change date on posted contribution

Post by satsumaumc »

I entered in all my data and posted it, but there was 1 entry that should have been counted as 2015. I have tried to change it but I cannot find any way to do it? I don't think I have accounting set up on my PC we use another accounting program. Is there something I am missing? Can I not change anything once it is posted? :wall:
Thank You

NeilZ

Re: How to change date on posted contribution

Post by NeilZ »

satsumaumc wrote:I entered in all my data and posted it, but there was 1 entry that should have been counted as 2015. I have tried to change it but I cannot find any way to do it? I don't think I have accounting set up on my PC we use another accounting program. Is there something I am missing? Can I not change anything once it is posted? :wall:
Thank You
FWIW .. before you do anything, if the church received the entry after Dec 31st, and the postmark says 2016, then it cannot be counted as 2015 contributions per the IRS. However, if that is not the case, you should post any unposted contributions.

You didn't say what version you are using.

If you're using v11.1 or 11.55, you can find the contribution under view Posted Contributions for the contributor. Highlight that entry, then click the REVERSE button.

Then using the Enter Contributions function, enter the contribution using the correct date. Then post these two entries.

If you're using v10.4 or earlier, use the ENTER CONTRIBUTIONS function to enter a contribution for the contributor, fund and incorrect date, however, you're going to enter a NEGATIVE number. So if the person gave $50, you would enter -50. Save that, then enter another contribution using the correct date. Post both of these contributions. NOTE: it is very important that you enter the correcting contribution using the INCORRECT date.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

UUCCGlenAllen

Post by UUCCGlenAllen »

Related question:

I inherited contribution files that have year dates entered as 2055. I reviewed the contribution details and it does not have the actual date that the contribution was keyed. I would like to know the actual dated keyed and posted, in order that I can correct the posting to the real date entered and posted with the correct year. I won't be here in 2055 to make things right. :) Is there a way to find these details?
Thanks for any help.
Best regards,
Raymond Cady
Congregational Administrator
Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Glen Allen
11105 Cauthorne Road Glen Allen VA 23059
Raymond Cady
Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Glen Allen, VA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

UUCCGlenAllen wrote:Related question:

I inherited contribution files that have year dates entered as 2055. I reviewed the contribution details and it does not have the actual date that the contribution was keyed. I would like to know the actual dated keyed and posted, in order that I can correct the posting to the real date entered and posted with the correct year. I won't be here in 2055 to make things right. :) Is there a way to find these details?
Thanks for any help.
Best regards,
Raymond Cady
Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Glen Allen
11105 Cauthorne Road Glen Allen VA 23059
Ray,

You can check the date entered by heading to Contributions -> View Posted Contributions then selecting someone who gave on that 2055 date, select that entry, then click on the DETAIL button at the bottom of the list window.

The Detail display will list all the data for that entry: Envelope number, name, Fund, Date of Contribution, Check Number (if tracked), Amount, any designations or memos, if this was against any pledged, then it will show the Entered date which I'm fairly sure is taken from the computer system's date, and the Posted date, again taken from the system, and by whom.

The Entered Date should give you the correct year, I'm assuming 2015 or 2005 :)

However, fixing this will be a bit of a problem if you have a lot of data entred on that date. You have to REVERSE each entry, then add it back in on the Contribution Entry screen, using all the same information (envelope number, fund number, designations, amount, check number) but with the correct date.

You then want to post all these corrections using the posting option of Only Update the Contributions Module as I suspect they were already posted to Funds Accounting, and the amounts sent there were correct. No need to mess with something that isn't broke :)

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.