non-cash contributions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bcomeau

non-cash contributions

Post by bcomeau »

We have made the decision to not assign a value to a non cash contribution that might be made to our church. Rather than keep this information outside PowerChurch with a letter, I want to show this as a non-cash contribution and put the description into the memo. I am running into trouble though because PowerChurch isn't letting me enter "0.00" for the value.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Thanks,
Barb

NeilZ

Re: non-cash contributions

Post by NeilZ »

bcomeau wrote:We have made the decision to not assign a value to a non cash contribution that might be made to our church. Rather than keep this information outside PowerChurch with a letter, I want to show this as a non-cash contribution and put the description into the memo. I am running into trouble though because PowerChurch isn't letting me enter "0.00" for the value.

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Thanks,
Barb
Powerchurch will not allow a zero entry for any contribution entry, and there is no way around it other than assigning a value on the donation, or assign a nominal $.01 value.

According to the August 2015 IRS Pub 1828, Tax Guide for Churches & Religious Organization, the church does not have to give any statement, but the donor cannot claim a deduction without it. The statement must contain the description of the non-cash donation. I'm not sure that the memo line of the Contributions entry form will give you enough space to include a proper description of some donations.

This is why it is suggested to send a letter, and either keep a hard copy for four years or keep the soft copy (usually a word processor file) on a network drive archive.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.