Donations for Prayer Breakfast and Ads

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

angel1

Donations for Prayer Breakfast and Ads

Post by angel1 »

Good afternoon,

We are on version 11.55. We have our annual Prayer Breakfast for which tickets are sold (some people write checks and some give cash). How do I show this? I have names of who paid by checks, but not persons who gave cash. Can I just list it under Envelope 7000 (Loose Offering), and indicate the designation as Prayer Breakfast?

Also we have our church anniversary, and we have a souvenir booklet, for which ads were sold. Again I have the names of persons who contributed by checks, but not cash. Can I do the same thing that I did for the Prayer Breakfast?

Thanks as always.

Angel1

NeilZ

Re: Donations for Prayer Breakfast and Ads

Post by NeilZ »

angel1 wrote:Good afternoon,

We are on version 11.55. We have our annual Prayer Breakfast for which tickets are sold (some people write checks and some give cash). How do I show this? I have names of who paid by checks, but not persons who gave cash. Can I just list it under Envelope 7000 (Loose Offering), and indicate the designation as Prayer Breakfast?

Also we have our church anniversary, and we have a souvenir booklet, for which ads were sold. Again I have the names of persons who contributed by checks, but not cash. Can I do the same thing that I did for the Prayer Breakfast?

Thanks as always.

Angel1

1. does the price of the tickets cover just expenses, or is there a donation included in that? It will affect the way you must enter these, because if there is a donation, you have to reflect the donation in some way. A good way of doing it is to print the amount of the donation on the ticket itself: For example: Ticket Price: 5.00 - includes a $1.00 donation toward missions. Please retain your ticket as proof of donation. In that manner, you can just use the loose cash envelope.

2. In this case, the ad was a donation to support the church, you really should be listing these as a contribution so the contributors get credit on their contribution statement.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

angel1

Post by angel1 »

Thanks for the reply. Would this be considered taxable or non-taxable deduction?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

angel1 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would this be considered taxable or non-taxable deduction?
I think you mean, is the amount given over the cost of the dinner considered a charitable deduction? In my example above for the ticket, the $1.00 given toward missions should be shown on a contributions statement. The $4.00 that pays for the costs of food should not be shown.

However, the amounts given toward the ads can be considered deductible to a point. Did the contribution buy advertising for a business, then no, it cannot be considered a charitable deduction since the person could possibly get some tangible benefits from additional business or sales.

If the ad merely stated, "Congratulations to the church from the Smith Family" with no other commercial references, then they could be considered deductible since the donation for the ad helps to offset the costs of printing the booklet.

That said, I would check with a tax accountant about the ads to be sure.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.