Check reader assigns contribution to wrong envelope number

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gregjohn

Check reader assigns contribution to wrong envelope number

Post by gregjohn »

Our check reader has been working great. However, when we scan checks that we receive in the mail from a church member's bank (via BillPay), our check reader sometimes assigns the check to the wrong envelope number. In the PC+ reference manual for version 11.5 (page 153, item #3), it says: "The check reader scans the magnetic numbers printed on the bottom of each check. This number is unique to each contributor as it includes the routing number and account number." We agree the routing number and account number are unique to each contributor, and the check reader works when we scan handwritten checks, but for some reason the check reader isn't assigning the check to the correct member when the check is from the BillPay feature of a bank. Does that make sense, and has anyone else had this problem?

NeilZ

Re: Check reader assigns contribution to wrong envelope numb

Post by NeilZ »

gregjohn wrote:Our check reader has been working great. However, when we scan checks that we receive in the mail from a church member's bank (via BillPay), our check reader sometimes assigns the check to the wrong envelope number. In the PC+ reference manual for version 11.5 (page 153, item #3), it says: "The check reader scans the magnetic numbers printed on the bottom of each check. This number is unique to each contributor as it includes the routing number and account number." We agree the routing number and account number are unique to each contributor, and the check reader works when we scan handwritten checks, but for some reason the check reader isn't assigning the check to the correct member when the check is from the BillPay feature of a bank. Does that make sense, and has anyone else had this problem?
I seem to remember this happening when I was using a check reader with a church 8 years ago. These checks coming from Checkfree or other online bill paying companies often use the same account number, which is usually NOT the account number of the person in question. What I believe happens is that the bank transfers funds from the account of the person, to a holding account, then prints the check against that holding account's number.

Then in Powerchurch, the first contributor who uses the bill pay function is then assigned that number, so this is why the check is being attributed to the wrong account. I suspect if you do some research, you'll find that this is the case for you.

What we finally did was save such Checkfree or online Bill Pay checks to the end of the batch, and enter them manually.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.